1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Member Intro

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by jwhite518, Oct 7, 2013.

1. jwhite518

jwhite518

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and thought I should introduce myself. I heard about this forum from a bandmate. Thanks, Norm, if you're reading!!

I am a longtime guitarist but pretty new to the bass. What the heck, they're tuned the same, right? Have been playing guitar since about 1988 or so (yes, I'm an old fart - 52 yrs old.) Bought a bass about a year ago. I live in the SF Bay Area.

I play about once a month in my church's praise band, and we play basically a pop music style, with occasional gospel things. I need to improve my skills beyond just banging on the root every time the 1 comes around. But the worship leader is always telling me to play less...so what's up - maybe this music just requires banging on the root. I need some advice here.

Will probably be a "taker" on this forum for awhile, before I can give back. First priority is to find a local teacher. Then I need some equipment advice, as I need an amp. I suspect if this thing goes any further I'll be buying a new bass as well.

See ya online!
    Jerry