New MIM Fender Marcus Miller - Initial Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MustGoFaster, Jan 3, 2013.

1. MustGoFaster

MustGoFaster

New Guy Here...just took delivery of a MIM Marcus Miller. I initially balked at the thought of a Mexican Fender, but it's really a Marcus Miller Generation 2, with a better Pre-Amp and a true passive. The pickguard is now all one piece with the dual 9V's in the rear.

It's fantastic in every way, played well right off the bat. The fit and finish is perfect, I can't find a thing to nit-pick on. The QC of the Mexican Fenders have come one heck of a long ways in the last few years.

Tone: The best of both worlds. Passive give a great vintage jazz sound and active is a perfect clean thump. Cranking up the bass knob really puts the hammer down.

Neck: Sleeker and thinner than a jazz neck - the finish, pearl inlays, and frets are awesome

Weight: Yeah, she's a heavy girl!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My only gripe is that Pickguards.us hasn't done a one-piece MM pickguard yet! I'm going white or white-pearl, and will be swapping in two more chrome knobs.

Here's what I've spent the last 10 years on - Ibanez Ergodyne EDA900. It's been a workhorse of a guitar, with not a single penny in repairs. Don't judge - it's Light, fast, and loud. It is still a fantastic guitar for hard rock. And it never needs polished or shows fingerprints.

[​IMG]
  2. exidor

exidor

thanks for the review I like the battery in the back! hey that Ibanez fret board looks like it could use some lemon oil just a thought the Mexican Fenders have come along way.
  3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

How is it a signature model with a neck as described?
  4. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

Nice! What does it weigh?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Youngspanion

Youngspanion

I picked up a really nice MM jazz in Manny's back about 8 years ago and I'm sorry I sold her off. It had a really nice neck and it had a great tone. I was less experienced and I wanted an L2K so I sold that instead of waiting and saving some. My bass didn't have a tone control in passive mode and I do remember wanting that.
  7. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

I dig the wood grain. Lucky.
    Good to know the mim model is solid.
    My friend has an older MIJ version. Sounds fantastic but too heavy.
  8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I love it definitely on my radar.
  9. atomicdog

atomicdog Supporting Member

Sweet. Congrats. Don't own one but have played one and was duly impressed (very much so).
  10. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member