New Mini Wireless system?: Chili Peppers Play Live at the Super Bowl?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by VitalSigns, Feb 3, 2014.

1. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

I was pretty pumped about RHCP playing the halftime show. But After watching it and looking at some pictures I'm starting to think.. Did they actually play live? The vocals were for sure live, but the instrumentals were much louder than the vocals. To shorten this up, none of the instruments looked plugged in.

Here's some close ups of Flea where you can see there's nothing going into the input jack. http://www.buzzfeed.com/h2/twpp/pepsi/12-of-the-best-flea-faces-from-the-halftime-show

Crossing my fingers for some kind of nano wireless system that I don't know about :(

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

He has so much juice the notes just jump to the amp.

3. chuck3

chuck3

I've seen a few threads about this on various forums. You could see the wireless of Bruno Mars' bass player, but for Flea not so much.

4. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

You can tell I haven't been on TalkBass in forever because I just tried to 'like' those posts... :rollno:

But yeah, I did notice that you could see Bruno's band's wireless but not anyones from RHCP.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. seamonkey

seamonkey

There's a right angle cable going from the jack to the back of the bass.

7. pasta4lnch

pasta4lnch

Ha! I do that all the time . . .:bag:

Pulled this from a friends FB page ...

[​IMG]

8. FiXeR

FiXeR Bass monkey, Drinker of swill, No sleep since 1985

The fact that they (the Chili Peppers) may not have actually been playing live doesn't really bother me. There's virtually no way to sound check 2 bands in that size of an outdoor venue within 5 minutes before they start playing & have it sound that well. I don't care who's running sound.

See the below article from when Springsteen played a few years back-
    http://m.mtv.com/news/article.rbml?id=1604355&alt=http://m.mtv.com/news/index.rbml

I'm not sure Bruno's bass player was "playing live" either. Although, at least his bass was plugged in. :rollno:
    Dancing with that much choreographed exuberance (and jumping around) on stage would be a real feat to do so and never miss a single note.

9. modulusman

modulusman

Yet they do it all the time.:) Check out some of Brunos live clips on you tube.

10. FiXeR

FiXeR Bass monkey, Drinker of swill, No sleep since 1985

I'm not saying it's impossible, mind you. Just that if so that fella has got some serious chops then! :eek:

11. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

Neither group played live, but I would appreciate it if they at least ATTEMPT to give the appearance of a "live" performance !

12. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

It is possible, and he does have serious chops!!

13. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

You had a pretty good clue the Peppers were fakin' it when they all did those jackknife whiplash contortions while playing smooth runs. Nobody could do that except Bruno Mars.

14. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

Yep ...all of his thousands of shows live, Flea is known for standing around still while he is playing actually plugged in!!.:eyebrow:

15. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

I get the feeling flea may have been having a little fun with it , the old 'oh you want me to fake it, do ya?' And left his wireless prop unplugged

16. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

+1

What Muse did was even better!

17. tekhedd

tekhedd Supporting Member

Considering the rest of the show came out of a can, they probably didn't have a choice. Not that it matters much either way, RHCP could probably do that song with no monitors at this point.

You never know, he might have a built-in. Still wouldn't be using it.

18. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Bruno's bass player is capable of playing his parts live, but there were a couple of moments where his fingers didn't quite seem to be plucking the notes at the exact moment I was hearing them, and there were some hand position changes that didn't seem to have corresponding changes in tone or attack. I also noticed a time or two when Bruno pulled the mic away from his mouth and there was no corresponding volume drop.

Of course, I could be wrong. I'd had a couple of drinks at that point.

I think the norm for the Super Bowl is prerecorded tracks, with the performers playing and singing along, and then the engineers may punch between the live elements and the recorded elements as they feel necessary. The emphasis is more on choreography than musicianship.

The only performer in recent memory that I didn't think was syncing anything was Prince, but I could be wrong about that, too.

At any rate, all these cats at least showed up. More than I can say for my beloved Broncos.

Ha!

19. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Canned tracks whenever possible. It's a known quantity and simplifies production when you're faced with running 4-5 acts across a stage within a 15 minute time span.

Now, if the RHCPs had come onstage doing their "sockman" routine, I would have awarded them the Lombardi trophy.

Riis

20. modulusman

modulusman

The bass player is Jamereo Artis. I remember him from the TV show making the band with P Diddy. He was like 20 years old and beat out every other bassists to win a spot in Puff Daddies band.