New Model Army, Helmet, or bands sustained by lead man

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chuck norriss, Mar 4, 2014.

1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

At some point a band becomes a solo project & all original members have gone & taken the band's sound with them. Smashing Pumpkins also comes to mind. The end.
  2. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    I'm currently listening to NMA....only made it to one show of theirs..
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

NMA are both one of my favorite bands (at least for the first 4 or 5 records) and also sort of frustrating to see now. I actually saw them at a gig in Ithaca NY a couple years ago, and it was sad that only about 25 people showed up. Then Justin appears to be about 75% nuts at this point. He reminds me of Neil from the Young Ones after a few too many years of acid.
  4. chuck norriss

THat's how it was with Helmet--I think there were 10 or 20 people there. What the?!
    I can't listen to smashing pumpkins any more.
    Peter Murphy did his solo stuff apart from Bauhaus & goes back and forth. I really appreciate his solo material. A lot of strong bass parts in there through his whole solo discography. New record not so much. Sounds like over produced trent reznor/ could be anybody.
    The Mission UK also. OK now I'm just complaining.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BurningSkies

Peter Murphy is a whole different story. Bauhaus was a much more popular and well known act. He also did a good job with his Mick Karn's project, Dali's Car, not to mention that he has a strong string of solo albums from that era on (Should the World Fail, Love Hysteria, Deep...which is brilliant, etc.). He's had a number of strong collaborations with his 'sidemen'...and also has been able to tour with people like Dave Navarro on bass.

I've seen him both alone and with Bauhaus, and I've never been disappointed with any of the experiences...although I will always love him best when he's with the Haskins brothers and Mr. Ash.
  7. chuck norriss

I shouldve mentioned I saw Murphy do a Bauhaus concert last year (?) without Bauhaus! A bunch of session kids doing Bauhaus songs. You can imagine how deflating that was.
    Yeah I love L&R too.
  8. BurningSkies

The Mission are a whole different thing. Eldritch is a similar figure to Justin Sullivan. That first Sisters album is great, but Floodland is the real masterpiece of Sisters output. The Sisterhood Gift release was also an interesting release, although more of an obscurity. I saw Sisters back in something like 1994 (?) and I can say that in terms of performance, the Bauhaus guys have him beat.

The Mission were decent, but almost because second rank just by lacking such a strong frontman.

Lets not start talking about Carl McCoy and Fields. ;)
  9. BurningSkies

I skipped on that tour. It seems like a misconceptulaized thing. I was at NYC resurrection tour nights that became the live album. And I saw Murphy solo on Deep, Holy Smoke, Cascade and a couple later tours. I also do enjoy Love and Rockets and particularly Tones on Tail. David J's solo work is also great.
  10. chuck norriss

I agree on David J I played fretless P because of him.
    Replacements--there's another one however I don't think they're still around.
  11. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

I reconnected with NMA, last year, after not paying attention for 20 years. They've done a lot of cool stuff. But I previewed the new one, and am unsure. Buy, or pass?
  12. BurningSkies

I had a college friend with a great story about the Replacements. Them being too drunk to play, getting up on stage, playing the Green Acres theme song a few times in a row, vomiting then quitting.

David J is a cool cat too. If you ever get a chance, go to a night when he's DJing. He's also happily signed a bunch of records for me. I was sad not to win any of his original lyrics or artwork a bunch of years back when he was eBaying it off. He wrote much of Bauhaus' best lyrics/music and he WAS the person who molded their visual/graphic style and did much of the layout and design.
  13. BurningSkies

Which ones do you already have?
  14. knumbskull

knumbskull

Mark E Smith usually fires everyone else in the Fall every few years. then again that's part of their greatness.
  15. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

All studio albums from "Thunder and Consolation" through "High"
  16. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

The Cure is Robert Smith even if...well i'd add Simon Gallup to it really since he joined in 1980, there's only two records he's not on (the first and then The Top in 1984, had a fight with Smith and left for a year). So at this point it's probably insulting to not consider him an integral part. Still, since 1979 there's been 12 different people in the band outside Smith.
  17. BurningSkies

Then you need to get copies of Ghost of Cain and Vengeance.

Beyond some live stuff, my favorites are:

Thunder & Consolation
    Impurity
    Ghost of Cain
    Vengeance
    Love of Hopeless Causes

^^In that order.
  18. chuck norriss

good one
    I like Tolhurst era Cure but you can't deny Gallup's tone (see: Fascination Street)
  19. chuck norriss

!!!????!!!!!
    I love Ghost of Cain that's my favorite but yes as burningskies says
  20. chuck norriss

a lady friend of mine said the exact same thing about djDJ. uncanny.
    Luckily I've seen the replacements several times and they were always sober nto drunk. my friend went when i didnt go he said they did all KISS songs. I wouldve been pissed (albeit Black Diamond is a KISS cover that I love)
  21. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I believe my favorite band Guns 'n Roses may fall under your description.