1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NEW MODERN Players series from Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassfreakah, Oct 30, 2011.

1. bassfreakah

bassfreakah Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    Does anyone else think these basses are very cool.I know they are built in mexico but I dig um. Has anybody got one yet and up for telling us whats up? I mean The Telecaster® looks badass does it not. And The Modern Player Jaguar Bass® might be killer for the money. Still looking up the Koto wood on body of the jaguar. Any body have any info?
  2. Sausainis

Sausainis

I went to local music store to check them out. Jazz bass was really nice, BUT built in china...? Since when does fender build basses in china?
  3. mordechai

mordechai Supporting Member

Koto wood? Is that what the body is made from?
  4. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Squier(by Fender) CV instruments have been made in China for years, and the quality of those have been consistently excellent. So they're made in China, so what?
  5. C.Linton

Only on the Jaguar, The Jazz and Tele basses are alder.
  6. SirGrotius

SirGrotius

I've never owned anything made in China that was even a step above rubbish. I'm a little disheartened that Fender has shipped out some facilities there, but at least they know there is a market for MIA and MIJ goods.

I'd like to check out the Jaguar.
  7. Sausainis

Sausainis

Simly it was really new and odd thing to me - i always thought fenders where built only in USA & Mexico.
  8. C.Linton

Then you've never played the Squier CV's?
    As I said, the Chinese Squier CVs are excellent basses and, if these Fenders are made in that same factory (as I believe is the most likely), then these no doubt will also be as excellent, if not better.
  9. C.Linton

USA, Mexico, (you forgot Japan), and Squiers (By Fender) China, Indonesia, and previously Korea and Japan.
  10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Fender has had Chinese acoustics for years.

Fenders (not counting Squiers or other FMIC proprietaries) have been made in the USA, Mexico, Korea, Japan, China and I believe briefly by PT in Indonesia.

And, no, the "Modern Players" totally leave me cold.

There are other and more informative threads on these, if you care. Can't say that I do. :meh:
  11. bassfreakah

Disclosures:
    You got to admit the tele bass with the two humbuckers is super cool. and the Butterscotch Blonde looks bassass!!!!
  12. bassfreakah

Disclosures:
    so any owners tell us......
  13. C.Linton

After hearing a couple of clips on Youtube (from KentonUK) I am considering getting this bass over a Fender P-bass that I had originally planned on saving up for. The MP Tele in those clips had just the tone I am looking for.
    I just hope that tone translates well into real life.
  14. Bobster

Bobster

Ok, I'll tell ya....

I picked up a used MP Jaguar in August from GC online. I am absolutely in love with mine!

It is made of Koto (Janka 940. harder than alder and mahogany, about the same as soft maple). Mine weighs 10lbs even. Some might say that's heavy, but it falls right in line with my other 34" scale instruments.

The body and neck are finished like a Geddy Lee, very thick, slick, and shiny.

The neck feels a whole lot like a Geddy Lee, but it's thicker front to back. I like the feel better than a Geddy. The inlays are not stickers. Mine has been very stable and I have it strung with D'Addario Super Light Chromes (.040 - .095). I hadn't used these before and I like them a whole lot too.

The stock bridge seems to be the one from the Squier CV 60s Jazz with the brass saddles. It's very good and doesn't need replacement.

The pickups are unmarked and have good output, of course the single-coil jazz pickup buzzes when solo'd. It has a nice tone stock. The bridge pickup has 70's spacing. Also, the P is in a slightly different location than the Squier Jags.

The pots and nut were the weak links. They used a plastic nut, and the really small pots.

Since owning it, I've made the following changes. I went to a stacked knob configuration and am really happy with that. I also put in a tusq nut and replaced the Jazz with a DP148 DiMarzio DP148 Ultra Jazz bridge pickup.

The Ultra Jazz blends very well with the stock P pickup. All in all, it's a great bass and a great deal.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone in a minute. If you have any doubts, go see for yourself.

Bob
  15. jazzgalore

jazzgalore

A friend of mine installed a DP148 DiMarzio Ultra Jazz bridge pickup on my MP Jaguar but now it seems to compress the signal when I turn the knob up full. Did he wire it wrong? Any words of wisdom before I take it to my guitar shop for a look-see? Thx.
  16. Bobster

Bobster

17. Paladin54

Paladin54 Providing the low end for the High One! Supporting Member

Fender's website says it has a synthetic bone nut. Is that fancy wording for plastic?
  18. Bobster

Bobster

Well, that could be a couple of things. Mine might have been synthetic bone, but it sure looked like plastic. It was rubbing on my strings and choking my tone.

Put a Tusq one for Jazz basses in there and problem solved.

Bob
  19. Paladin54

Paladin54 Providing the low end for the High One! Supporting Member

20. archerygenious

archerygenious

Personally I'm very excited about the Jazz bass, I think it would be the perfect companion for my Squier VM 70s Jazz so I'm hopefully gonna get one sometime this year