New Mu-Tron - Tru Tron 3x

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bo0tsy, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Bo0tsy

Bo0tsy

Just wondered if anyone has tried the new Tru Tron 3x out on bass (there are no demo's or reviews that I can find) but seriously interested in hearing what this pedal sounds like.

Anyone on Talkbass own one & want to share what they think of it?:help:

I'm also keen to understand whether this can fit into a standard 9v pedal board or does it have it's own dedicated power supply like the old Mu-Tron's?

2. Outlaw_son

Outlaw_son Supporting Member

Hey Bootsy I have one that's arriving today,sad part is I cant open it until Christmas. I think the high price scared quite a few peoples away and the fact that there are so many great filters avaliable and with more features. Picked mine up while they were having the Friday the 13th sale,think It was $319 during that period so I jumped. Ive been strangely attracted to this pedal since I found out about it and havent heard many bass clips and am very curious so we will see how it goes. Also Im in the process of learning how to record decent quality soundclips so I will post some clips as soon as I can. Also the power supply is dedicated however it works with all of Voodoo Labs products like the pedal power 2 which I use.

3. Bo0tsy

Bo0tsy

Hi Outlaw_son

That's a top Xmas pressie you'll be getting there!:)

Post Christmas, it'd be great if you could post your thoughts on the pedal, and any soundclips would be an added bonus!

4. Outlaw_son

Yeah Christmas/Bday present:). And for sure Ill post impressions immediately. Might take a bit longer for the audio clips but yeah Ill be running the Trutron with a 2012 USA Fender P and my Stingray 4. Cannot wait to hear!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JBTucci

JBTucci Supporting Member

Can't wait to hear what you guys think of this..

7. Outlaw_son

8. DiscoFreq

DiscoFreq

I have one and love it!

At the moment it is with one of my (guitar) reviewers though...

9. Outlaw_son

10. Outlaw_son

Heads up 20% off this pedal right now on the webstore.

Ive only had a little time with it but my initial impressions: First off its SUPER funky! I was able to dial in all types of GREAT tones and easily. Since there isnt a complete user manual written yet,I had to just go with the flow and experiment. It didnt take long to start getting the hang of everything and how the controls interact. With 4 modes (LP, BP,HP,and MIX) and the option to switch the Envelope Drive and Filter Ranges (with 2 settings a each), this pedal is pretty versatile.

Using the MODE knob as my basis, I found it was easy to build nice usable tones in each mode quickly. I think the MIX mode will sound something special at gig level volumes... Juicy,squishy,funky,vowely,echo spacey, are some of the sounds it produced, Awesome! Worked flawless with my Fender P and my Drop C tuned Stingray. Green light stays lit when bypassed,glows blue when engaged. The PEAK switch has a decent range of well peakness. The MU and PRE controls work hand in hand. I kept the MU between 8 and full on for full funkyness. With that, pushing the PRE increased the volume and seemed to bring out more harmonic tones and richness,well up to a point. It can be overkill on some of the higher settings.

Overall Im very satisfied so far. Next tests will be at gig level volumes with my band. After that Ill try and get some recordings done and posted. Please feel free to ask me any questions about it.

11. Jman2089

Jman2089 Supporting Member

Im on the fence. i had a the 3 leaf groove reg 2, proton v-3 and wonderlove. i dug them all, but kept the proton. Im on the fence about the MU. Have you had a chance to try any of the 3 leaf stuff filters?
    How is the size? Its going on a nano board
    Hurry I may pull the trigger today

12. Jman2089

What is the power requirement?

13. LiquidCaravan

LiquidCaravan

From the facebook page:

We use a special supply that puts out 12volts AC (NOT DC) at 200 mA ,from a 110-120 vAC source.

14. Outlaw_son

I have not tried the 3 leaf products but only because I got frustrated trying to decide which version to get first lol. I will choose one eventually,heard awesome things from all of em. The pedal was smaller than I thought it would be. Off the top of my head the size is like two BOSS sized pedals wide and maybe 1 1/2 high,Ill take some pics when i get home.

15. LiquidCaravan

LiquidCaravan

Just ordered one!:bassist: Will hollar with my experiences in a week or so.

It's kinda risky with such a new product; not a lot of bass sound clips out there. However, there are some side-by-side guitar comparisons of the tru-tron to the original which show it to be very similar. And there are a few youtube vids of the original with a bass, which sounds great. Therefor, the reissue should sound similar to the original on bass too:) Thanks to TBer -Timothy- for the only tru-tron 3x bass clip, found in this thread (great playing by the way):

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/just-what-we-need-mu-tron-iii-again-1015552/index4.html

There are lots of great filters out there, but the mutron III has always felt a touch more natural and rounded than the rest. I appreciate all the extreme and wacky sounds that some of these filters can make, but I'm looking for a classic warm and earthy quack.

16. Outlaw_son

Here you go. After playing with it for a few more hours Im happy to announce that I have finally ended my search for a envelope filter pedal. All the sounds I want are just there and more... Thanks Mike!:bassist:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Jman2089

Well , Im in. Just ordered my today. Yippy

18. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

And I'll be in...when they start appearing on the classifieds here. Need more bass samples!

19. Outlaw_son

Okay I somehow managed to record some clips for you guys. Was my first time and Im still wasted from last night (HAPPY NEW YEARS!) but I think this will help some. Just some things to note: These clips are raw,no effects or processing ect. Audio didnt record in stereo for some reason,left side only,the volume is really low so I suggest headphones and blasting the volume,should help some. If anyone has any suggestions how to fix these things please chime in and Ill record some more clips. Thanks.

CLIPS --> https://soundcloud.com/outlawson-1/sets/trutron-3x

20. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

I'm hearing it in both sides of my headphones (a little more on the left, though). The demo sounds good; I like the fact that I'm only hearing the pedal and no other effects or processing. I like everything about it, except it seems like it would benefit from having attack and decay controls. The sweep isn't quite as tight as I'd like it to be, but that's just me.

21. Jman2089

Waiting for delivery on mine by tomorrow. Gig this weekend