New MXR preamp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stev187, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club! Supporting Member

A well-known and awesome bass player posted this photo to facebook from BPL. Very exciting! Anybody have details? How does it compare to the M80 DI+ I wonder. Could be a winner--love my MXR stuff.

--Steve

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1384113521.482073.jpg
  2. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Holy Toledo!
  3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

And it has DI output.... Can't wait to see what all the knobs and switches do and hear soundclips.
  4. avvie

avvie

illegible crappy phone pic ftw!!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

Looks like it's Level, Mid Freq, Drive, Bass, Mid, Treble. Not sure about the buttons but I definitely see myself getting one of these.
  7. Stev187

Kinda adds to the mystery, doesn't it? :) The Dunlop site will have tons of HQ photos soon, I imagine. The person who posted the photo said these units will ship in January.

Perhaps someone who say it at BPL will chime in. Again, looks like a winner.

--Steve
  8. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    Thats pretty cool// I use teh M80 almost all the time.. It started as a line buffer..
    But i can set up three sounds.. basically.. Bypassed, Channel A with or without the Colour button in. then the DIST channel..
    The colour button is a nice miced amp sim.. sort of like an 810 sort of vibe.

9. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

I'm sure it'll be at NAMM, hopefully I'll be able to try it out there.
  10. johnsilva

johnsilva

11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

12. shonuf4

shonuf4

It’s now in the product section of Dunlop/MXR website at http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/bass-preamp, and the full demo is up at .

I like the corner frequencies of the bass and treble, 40 Hz and 4 KHz, the same as the Sadowsky and Aguilar preamp pedals. While that may sound counter intuitive at first, it WORKS. By being below and above the fundamental frequencies, you can fatten up or cut bass, or make it brighter without being brittle or “old school” yet articulate without changing the character of your bass. Your ’63 Jazz still sounds like a ’63 Jazz. From what I hear in the demo, the bandwidth of the midrange is in a sweet spot that is wide enough to avoid being nasal-like without overlap that interferes with the bass and treble.

I’m definitely going to try this thing out. It seems to have exactly what I want in a preamp pedal without any other bells and whistles. That coupled with the small footprint and tough build quality make it ideal to carry in my gig bag for those gigs that require playing direct with no stage amp and parking 4 blocks from the club.

13. Stev187

I'd be curious to read a contrast review with the M80 Bass DI+ pedal. I have that one and I wonder if the EQ/etc. are similar. The one thing I'd miss from the M80 is the two channel operation. I don't care for the distortion, but on gigs I use that channel as a boost pedal--works great.

This preamp looks good, though. MXR Bass Innovations stuff is impressive.

--Steve
  14. Stev187

Oh, and I have another stupid question.

Q. Could this pedal serve as a true preamp (e.g. could you send this signal directly to a power amp instead of a bass head)?

--Steve
  15. bassicsax

bassicsax

16. shonuf4

shonuf4

The difference is in the Bass control. The M80 is 60 Hz, while the new M81 Bass Preamp will have a 40 Hz bass control. Both have 4 kHz Treble controls. The M80 has an 850 Hz mid while the M81 Bass Preamp's has a Mid Frequency control that goes from 250 Hz to 1 K.

Aaron
  17. Guinness20

Guinness20

Is this thing built for tone shaping?
  18. eno50

eno50

9 volt Battery ......no wall wart!!!!!!!.......?
    Oh Yes I want one.....
  19. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

OK... now that it's been out and played for a while... what's the feedback, pros and cons ?
  20. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Huh..... no its not (not yet) - the new MXR M81 Bass Preamp isn't even available on the market yet.
  21. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall reading somewhere around here that it wouldn't be out before April. Thx.

:)