New neck and having bad fret buzz between 10-21 frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jessicabass, Jan 21, 2014.

1. jessicabass

jessicabass

First off i know how to set up a bass. I have low action on my other two basses and do my own setups.
    But recently i recieved a squier neck to put on a squier body.
    I got the bass to play perfectly from 1st-9th frets.
    I would like the action to go a little lower as its a tad high for my taste.
    But since i put the new neck on everything from 10th fret and down buzzes badly.
    Dosent matter if the neck is flat or with varied relief.
    Frets are in great shape as it was barely played.
    Do i just now have a bass that wont get low action?
    Could i do a fret level to shorten the height of the frets to achieve it?
    Or is it something else?

2. Bobster

Bobster

Hi jessicabass,

If you're having buzz between 10 - 21, the first recommendation I'd make is to take a little more bow out of the neck via the truss rod. When it's too flat it will begin to buzz around #5 fret.

If this doesn't resolve it, I'd recommend destringing, getting the neck as flat as possible, and start looking for high frets with the rocking test.

Between these too, you should be able to identify something.

Let us know,

Bob

3. jessicabass

jessicabass

I got the action down to 1/8 on the 12th fret from top of fret to bottom of string.
    Is this too much?
    Seems high to me.....
    I did everything but destring.
    Still alot of buzz in the same area.
    Taking out more bow just made the fret buzz higher, didnt make it better.
    Guess thats just as good as it gets without spending money.

4. pfox14

pfox14

Sounds like you have uneven frets which will require a fret level and re-crown, but that's assuming the setup is correct and the neck is straight or has some acceptable relief. 1/8" string height is about right for the low E, so that's sounds good. G string should be slightly lower.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

To achieve your lowest action you will need to have a fret job done. Squier necks are usually great, but their fretwork isn't the best in the world out of the factory.

7. lundborg

lundborg

Normal procedure for getting rid of buzz at higher frets is to raise the the bridge, try that and then check if the truss rod needs more adjustment.

My guess is that your new neck might have higher heel than the old one, or a slightly different angle. Hence the need for raising the bridge.

You probably will need to address the intonation as well.

<I assume of course that the neck is straight and with good frets, otherwise you'll need to fix that>

Hope this helps.

8. Precision101

Precision101

I had a squier bass before with the same problem and the action was too high for me to play. I don't know if it's just me and I may be wrong but every bass is different and some basses just aren't made for low action from what I've noticed from fender anyway. I did a neck reset and it worked for me.

9. P Town

P Town Guest

Could a shim at the head stock end of the pocket help?

10. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

^^ This. Spot on!

11. Bobster

Bobster

If that's the case, you can try placing a shim at the headstock end of the neck pocket. This is the reverse of normal shimming, but it should cause the end of the neck nearer the bridge to tip slightly downward.

All the best,

Bob

12. Lownote38

Lownote38

Some of those upper frets might not be seated properly. I've had that issue with MIJ Fender necks, and Squier necks. If a tech reseats (and dresses) the frets, it should be fine.

13. jessicabass

jessicabass

So fustrated.....
    Will try some of your ideas people.
    Thanks a bunch

14. elBandito

elBandito

+1 on fret level. It'll make your bass play so much better, you won't even believe it's a squier.

15. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

If you tighten the rod to straighten the neck, the strings will get a little lower. You need to raise the bridge to compensate for it. But, really? I too would recommend a fret leveling. Maybe you could find someone who could file a little fall off onto the upper frets, which would help enormously.

16. jessicabass

jessicabass

Well with higher tension strings which is supposed to allow lower action i still cant get low enough action for my taste.
    I have flattened the neck out straight and it has helped somewhat but nowhere near enough.
    May try the reverse shim or just deal with fact that i have to keep it as it is or spend the 60$ for a fret job.

17. Bobster

Bobster

jessicabass,

If the reverse shim works, you could take it in to have the neck heel flattened, or try it yourself with a sanding block.

It would be a slow job that way, but definitely inexpensive.

All the best,

Bob

18. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

1/8 on the 12th fret sounds high to me. Fender recommends measuring the action on the 15th fret, which is what I do. 5/64 to 6/64 on the low E string is what I shoot for.

19. jessicabass

jessicabass

Thank you.
    Now if i can get the neck off.
    One screw is on so tight i cant get it to turn without worrying about stripping it..
    ughhh
    Might just scrap this thing and sell it off in parts.
    Ive never had this problem setting up a bass.

20. ROBM700

ROBM700

I had the same issue with my new warmoth neck and squier body. Shimming did the trick! I placed a thin strip of gasket material that I knew would last at the headstock end of the neck pocket. I was able to lower my action and eliminate buzz.

Did it early this morning after reading this post last night. Thanks!

Hope this helps.