1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New neck day: Warmoth wenge fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

I got this Warmoth neck from their in stock page a couple of weeks ago. I'd been thinking of getting a fretless and figured I'd save a few dollars by swapping necks on my Warmoth-body Jazz. The neck is wenge with an ebony fingerboard. Here's a front shot:

[​IMG]

It feels great. It's attached to the body now but I'm still setting it up (gotta file down the nut slots). Look how much lighter the wenge is compared to my older fretted neck:

[​IMG]

This is Warmoth neck number 6 for me. I find a wenge/ebony combination is my favourite. :hyper:

2. cpas

cpas

Very nice. I've been considering something similar.

3. hover

hover

Got a (fretted) Warmoth in that wood config on my Fenderbird...neck is fantastic.

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

I've used that wood combo before as well. The wenge really seems to focus the lows, it's really interesting sonically. How is the fretboard in terms of smoothness? Can you feel the fret lines at all?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

Fingerboard is very smooth. I can feel the fret lines only very slightly, almost imperceptible.

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Nice. thanks and enjoy that great neck.

8. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

I just uploaded a video. This is using the rear pickup:

9. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

I have a unllined neck just like it. It's wonderful.

10. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Ebony fretboards are the best. Nice neck.

11. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Very nice. I have one similar but has the warhead headstock. I found after buying it that I am just not a fretless guy, so it will be off to eBay. They really are wonderful necks , I've had several. After my fretless sells I'm picking up one of their roasted maple necks. Enjoy that neck :)

12. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

They are!

13. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

Thanks! I used to have a Warmoth Maple/ebony fretless neck but I never seemed to play it so I sold it. I have a feeling I'll be keeping this one though.

14. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

I have another canary/blood wood warmoth neck in storage so if I change my mind I can always go back. I just realize when I was taking photos of the one I'm selling that the last fret dot is sitting low and moves very slightly ( so there goes about $50 bucks off the neck, oh well). I need to become a supporting member and sell my stuff here. In the meantime I will adhere to the rules and not sell here.

15. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the flying monkeys show up Supporting Member

Media:
    'Love it!
    I built a Tele Baritone (A-A) last year. I used a Warmoth baritone conversion neck (28 5/8" scale) with Wenge shaft and ebony fretboard. The wenge (and the ebony) on my neck is very dark (which I like). It turned out GREAT! The gold glitter Tele body is Mighty Mite. Lollar pups.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. hamfistUK

hamfistUK

I'm sure it's a beautiful neck, but wenge ? really ? Doesn't look like any wenge I've seen before. Did they actually send you the neck you ordered ?

17. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

Although you can't see it in the photos, the side of the neck has the same type of grain pattern as my other wenge necks. It is a lighter shade of brown but I'm confident it's wenge.

18. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I love Warmoth stuff. My bass to the left has a Warmoth bubinga neck with wenge fretboard. I'll probably try a few different wood combinations before I'm finished, but it's not the sort of thing I could do very often unless my wallet gets a whole lot fatter than it is.

19. pkstone

pkstone Supporting Member

I just put a Warmoth gonçalo-alves/ebony fingerboard fretless neck on my MIJ Jazz. I am loving it.

20. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

I had a bubinga neck too. Ebony board. Nice neck! The bubinga was a nice surface to play on.