1. Register your FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

New neck for epiphone t-bird?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mplsgetscold, Jan 24, 2014.

1. mplsgetscold

mplsgetscold

Jul 9, 2012
    I like how my thunderbird sounds but I hate how it plays. The neck is just too wide.

I wanna put something more akin to my jazz bass neck on it so I can enjoy playing it.

What kind of rules or guidelines should I follow while shopping for a new neck?

2. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The T-bird neck is not a direct fit for Fender-style necks. You will need to do some work on the neck pocket to get that to work, but it can be done.

Best of luck,

Bob

3. Sponsored by:

4. Hi.

Assuming fretted...

If You don't mind moving the bridge or changing it, pretty much any "Fender style" BO 34" scale neck will be doable with slight neck heel/neck pocket trimming.

If You want to keep the original bridge at its original place, you have to measure the neck length very carefully.

With un-lined & un-dotted fretless neck anything goes.

Regards
    Sam

5. mplsgetscold

mplsgetscold

Jul 9, 2012
    Well, this is obviously gonna be a much more involved project than purchasing a replacement neck.

Suppose I'll break out the tape measure

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You could reduce the width of the existing neck. It'd require a full refret, but it can be done.

7. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Get a real Thunderbird
    The Gibson's have Jazz like necks.

8. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    It's a relatively minor surgery to the neck pocket plus a Hipshot Supertone bridge that's needed.
    Get a Squire or Fender MIM neck. And some lightweight tuners couldn't hurt.

[​IMG]

9. mplsgetscold

mplsgetscold

Jul 9, 2012
    yes. that is exactly what i want. thats the same model i have AND i was looking into a new bridge anyway!

thanks so much!

10. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    I would just trade it in on a new Epi T-bird. The new Epi bolt on Birds have a narrow/slim 1.5" nut just like the Gibsons, which is similar to a jazz neck.

11. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Jan 27, 2008
    Nashville TN
    I used a Fernandes neck and Supertone bridge. I needed to route the neck pocket 5/16" toward the bridge to match scale-length and have good intonation.

[​IMG]