New NIN...

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Dan Bozek, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    Pretty excited about today's announcement, but I gotta say that I for one wish you were in the upcoming line up. I imagine the timing of it doesn't really jive with all the stuff you've been posting about coming up like, you know, producing music and planning a wedding, etc...

And it is really nice to see señor Avery get another cool gig!! Perry throwing him under the bus after NINJA and accusing him of "cashing in" (wasn't the "reunion" tour billing a blatant plan from the mind of Farrel to cash in from the start? I should have been...) always rubbed me the wrong way, so Garbage and NIN give nice reasons for Team Eric to "meh" all of that.

2. bassingeorge

bassingeorge

I for one would like to see you with NIN too, but Avery is one hell of a player as well, pretty cool style, and all in all I'm pretty happy NIN is back! Can't wait too see them this year!

Justin, I saw a video of nin playing live...and you were playing a silver? jaguar bass? with matching headstock....is that thing stock? Or was it a custom color? Thanks!

3. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

4. Marial

Marial Pooped Gold Supporting Member

I dig Avery, but what I'm really stoked about is Adrian Belew joining NIN. The possibilities...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

+ 1,000,000. Eric is a great bassist, but the Belew part is HUGE news for the fanboy in me!!

7. Jawbone

Jawbone

Sorry you didn't make the cut! Eric's awesome.

8. jmjbassplayer

There was no "cut". I didn't even submit myself as being available or interested. Trent has had these plans afoot for a good long while.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

I'm a huge Justin fan and if he isn't playing I'm not interested just my opinion guy is a beast.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOL...make the cut ;) Gee, I wonder which pays better...producing hit records or playing bass for NIN? I'm going to go out on a limb and say "producing hit records."

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Eh, not a word of disrespect intended, but NIN existed before Justin and will exist after Justin. I don't always like everything Trent has done, but on every album I can find enough spots of genius to keep me interested in hearing the next thing he comes up with. Plus Adrian Belew on guitar...how can you NOT be interested with Adrian playing?

12. bassingeorge

bassingeorge

This...

13. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Yeah, totally. Jeordie and Lohner were just as awesome before JMJ for that iteration of the NIN live experience, and Avery will be great too, I'm sure. If there is one thing that has been consistent, it's that everything Trent works on (in my opinion at least) is always gold.

I didn't mean to start an argument. I just posted because while I was having a mini-stroke from the excitement of seeing Nine Inch Nails live again this summer, I had a little pang if disappointment that Justin wasn't going to be involved. Mainly because his other work in the last few years has been so good and because I've been enjoying this little community.

14. bassinplace

bassinplace

+1

15. MetroBass

MetroBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    From the demo's on the site NIN has headed into a totally different direction just like Trent points out. A lot of synth bass tones so not sure what value Avery brings except to play bass on the older material. Plus, tours can be pretty grueling and I'm sure JMJ likes driving to work "most" days.

16. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Demos, you speak? ‘Splain to me, Lucy!!

17. wonderjosh

wonderjosh Supporting Member

Hopefully Eric Avery looks a little less uninterested playing for NIN than he did with Jane's.

18. jmjbassplayer

Don't get me wrong, I love touring. But I like sporadic touring. :) The kind I'll likely do a bit more of with Beck this year. Stoked though, because obviously with my producer success, there's no shortage of work for the time being.

Anyway, yes: the thing about Eric is that, like me, he can play everything. So it'll work out well for the NIN scenario regardless of repertoire.

JMJ

19. wonderjosh

wonderjosh Supporting Member

But his hair isn't nearly as cool. ;)

20. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    OK... So here is something I've always been curious about: Lights in the Sky, normal white-fro. NINJA, cut short. Both looked great. What was the reason for the change? Stylist? Practically easier to maintain? Just curious. :) My hair doesn't do anything, so I don't know what factors are involved with maintaining such a fine hair sculpture on the road. ;)

21. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

Fixed cause the original was dumb.