1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New nut for fender jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by A-Step-Towards, Dec 28, 2013.

1. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I need to get the nut replaced on my marcus miller jazz bass. It was tuned BEAD and the B string tore up the E nut slot bad and ate into the wood, dont ask me why this was allowed, that was the previous owners doing :rollno:.

Anyways the rest of the bass is in awesome shape and besides that it plays great, sounds awesome and is lighter then any MM i have tried so I really want to get it playing correctly.

Has anyone replaced a but on one of these? I ask because I was looking for nuts and I could find ones for a american standard but this nut should be short length wise and the radius of the board is different. Is there no pre made nuts for these available? I rather not get a custom cut nut as that will not be cheap but likely I am going to source out the work as I never have replaced a nut on a maple boarded bass with binding.

Photo of the damage and yes he played it with a zip tie to keep it in the slot.

[​IMG]
  2. Precision101

Precision101

Try getting a jazz graph tech nut I got one for my p bass. Slipped right in the slot. They are tough nuts :D
  3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

With the binding, unique radius, and if you are going to continue with the BEAD setup, I'd take it to a good tech and get a brass nut put on it for no other reason than it will be harder to break than any other material you could use for a nut. I've got an early 90's US Plus that split 2 stock nuts in the G slot before my tech put a brass nut on it. It's been fine since then.
  4. pfox14

pfox14

That's really bad. You need to get it repaired properly and get a brass or at least a good bone put in there before there's anymore damage.
  5. A-Step-Towards

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

As I said the previous owner ran it BEAD. I am going back to Normal EADG. Those photos were taken bythe previous owner who continued to play it as is and wear the nut and into the wood.

I just need something stockset up but I suppose going to a brass nut wouldnt be to bad either.
  6. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Almost positive that pre cut brass nuts are sold on the bay. Just my two cents.
  7. bassbenj

bassbenj

I also highly recommend the Graphtech Black TUSQ XL nut. They have many sizes and I'm pretty sure you can find a drop-in pre-cut nut in the bunch for your Fender. Usually they are ALMOST the right size and just need a small bit of sanding to trim the width or string height to the right numbers.

The Black are permanently lubed which means the strings don't stick nearly as much which makes careful tuning not such a hassle. And although I was totally sceptical before I started buying these nuts, I SWEAR they also give you a big improvement in tone.

Being made close to the proper size and precut for standard EADG strings greatly reduces the hassle of putting in a new nut.
  8. A-Step-Towards

Awesome, I am most likely going to go Graphtech. I dont want to go with a fender nut and want something I little more robust but not really wanting a brass nut, although it would go with the 70s modded look of the bass.

I will look around for direct fit ones and see if I can get one close to it at least.
  9. Bobster

Bobster

I very strongly recommend the Graphtech Tusq series. The Jazz nut (PQ-1214-00) is a great fit width-wise as a drop in replacement.

I have had to lower the string height on the five I've used, but it's very simple with a flat file before you permanently mount the nut. You can take a measurement from the old nut and start from there.

Here's a link to the exact nut: http://www.graphtech.com/products/b...tring?id=2bb1a44f-36cc-409a-84bb-5b9a6cd8612b

It's normally easy to pick one of these up on eBay for about 1/2 the list price.

All the best,

Bob
  10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

If you are going back EADG then most any nut would do the job. I've got an MIM J I picked up from a heavy metal kid that's strung with a heavier than usual set of strings (.115 E) and the stock nut has been (professionally) cut for the larger diameter string set and so far it's working fine. I've been playing it quite a bit with no problem.

I like the idea of a nut with some lube built in. I may have to give one a try next time I need a new nut.
  11. rogerb

rogerb

Measure according to the specs of the original nut, a PQ-1214-00 TUSQ is different from a newer MIA jazz nut. Maybe yours will be closer. Here is a stock MIA nut and the TUSQ in front.

[​IMG]
  12. Dave M

Dave M Supporting Member

Take heed on this point.
    All the sugestions of a "drop in" replacement should be taken with some caution. First, a "drop in" replacement does not guarantee proper slot height. And in this case, the binding means the new nut will need to be skillfully trimmed to fit the shorter width.
  13. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    GHS Strings, HipShot Products, Pick Guy custom picks
    This.

Take it to a tech.
  14. A-Step-Towards

Most likely taking it to a tech so thanks for the suggestions. I have done a lot fo stuff on basses but not a nut. I took my time, really took my time and removed the old nut and glue. No issues with that. The binding is where I know its over my head as thats going to require real delicate work and I also dont know what glue to use as well.