1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New/old strings: dangerous?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MattZilla, Nov 19, 2013.

1. MattZilla

MattZilla

Going through some old bins, my boss found some strings that are clearly at least as old as I am. Should I even bother with this old steel? Is there much worry that they'll break (being three decades old, I can't say "prematurely") before I've put a hundred hours on them?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nah go for it. There are guys here that play and prefer strings the older the better. If they're free even better.

3. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

I'd keep em. You can always go out and buy old style new strings, but not new old stock. Plus I have a love affair for everyday items from yesteryear.

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

It's too bad those old daddario halfrounds aren't the stainless steel versions. Awesome strings.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    They could explode with to much tension placed upon them if they very old and past the exasperation.

Handle with extreme caution.

7. oysteivi

oysteivi

Sell them as "vintage strings" on eBay.

8. MattZilla

MattZilla

Welp, the nickel halfs are on the j as the flats are too short for either of my basses. Bummer because the halfs feel tackier than the flats, I hope this changes when they break-in. I really wanted the flats to work out.

9. MattZilla

MattZilla

Oh, god. The halfs made my fingers stink.