New P BASS...Decisions, Decisions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CLMSHQ, Mar 1, 2014.

1. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

So I have been given the Green Light to get a new P Bass with a great finance deal.

I have a nice MIM 50's Classic, but I want another P to add to my Family.

Here are my choices:

Am STD Jade Pearl-Rosewood
    Am STD White-Rosewood

Am Special White-Rosewood

or a Nate Mendel P

I haven't played the later two...but have played a AM STD and they are nice. I have an 08' Am STD Jazz in Charcoal Frost with Maple, but I have been favoring P's lately.

Hmmm

2. TechJunky

TechJunky Supporting Member

My vote is for Am std jade pearl. There's one hanging at my local gc, and if I had the money it would be in my house already. Just love the color. I also like the features of the American standard series over the American special, and dont like red so Nate Mendel doesn't work for me, but that's purely subjective.

3. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

I vote for the Am Std. Jade Pearl. Or any other Am. Std. Played the Am Special and found nothing special about it.

4. Mtnman

Mtnman

I like the American Special strictly for it's unique neck profile. The hardware and electronics are just OK, but they can easily be changed. The neck is thinner front to back, and for me, its a perfect fit.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

My other half liked the Jade Pearl too.

She said, "Go for it. You deserve to treat yourself too. You can never have too many instruments."

:D

7. Gbass75

Gbass75

You hit the "spouse lottery!"

DocGeorge likes this.
  8. Eric66

Eric66

Either of the American Standards are OK.
    I own the white one myself, and it is a killer bass.
    But I love the jade pearl as well; it's a beauty.

9. Fencing Fan

Fencing Fan

I bought a new P in December: the Am Standard neck is too wide at the nut for my liking, so I looked at the Am Special and the Nate. I bought the Nate, and I think it is outstanding.... for me.

But think about the sound of your current P, and what tonal profile you want in the next bass. The NM has a very different sound in comparison to the std or the special. It is also much different than my other P, so there is variety in tonal character between the two. Again, ideal for me.

My rambling point is that the sound may be a good guide in making your choice.

10. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Yes, I believe I have.

Her Mom and Aunt keep asking when I am going to pop the big question :bawl:

;)

11. Gbass75

Gbass75

D'oh!

:)-0

12. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

I just let my wife buy a $300 vacuum which I consider 'on account' in the Gas fund.

13. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

It's not that much of a leap in quality, but I'd go for the American Special.

14. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Picked up the American Std. today, put on flats, and I'm lovin' the silky smooth, full bottomed sounds as well as the nice feeling strings on me fingers. Don't know about the color, but I thoroughly recommend this Fender! (mine's sunburst). Came with an awesome hard shell case that I didn't know was available with new Fenders these days as well.

15. Gbass75

Gbass75

I had a 2012 that was FANTASTIC.

I just needed to downsize; and it didn't make my personal cut...

It was probably a better bass is certain ways than others; but, it didn't possess the sentimental value of other instruments in the stable.

16. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

I played the US Nitro Finish P bass, Guitar Center exclusive I believe, and was blown away. From what I've read, the Am Standard is great, but for me I like the MIJ PB62. As for color, I've always liked white (Olympic, vintage etc) with rosewood fretboard.

17. Moosehead1966

Moosehead1966 Supporting Member

Wow…Chivalry isn't dead.. If only I could be so romantic ;)

Marc

18. kamakiriad7

kamakiriad7

A year ago I decided I wanted a P-bass (I've had jazzes, stingrays, but currently play a Fodera mainly). After some deliberation, I decided to order a Jade Pearl 4-string with a maple fretboard.

It is, today, getting more play than my Fodera. (I've got Chris Tarry to partly blame for that.)

It's incredible, especially after I replaced the pickup with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder. It sounds wonderful and superbly balanced. Best Fender I've ever played, too. They're really hitting it out of the park with the American Standards these days.

19. Moosehead1966

Moosehead1966 Supporting Member

I said the same thing in another thread. I sold my U.S. Spector NS-2J, a superbly built bolt-on with ridiculously low action. I bought a tube Fender Bassman 100T and a 2008 Fender American Standard Precision, used for $600 (score.). I am shocked at how I have bonded with the P bass in a way I never did with the Spector. Wow.

Marc

20. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

So the P Bass is back in stock that I want to order...but wait..maybe an Ampeg PF500-115 Combo instead....Grrr!

21. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

So I ended up getting the Ampeg PF 500-115 combo..it will be a good back-up and practice amp for sure..already used it for two gigs.

BUT, still going to get a back-up P to throw in a gig bag.

Debating on a Squier: Affinity PJ, VM PJ, or a Mike Dirnt P to throw flats on and bring to rehearsal or some outdoor gigs.

I had a VM Jazz and a CV 60's P...both were great, but want something different.