New P/J - How do i Fix 60 Cycle Hum?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by faulknersj, Jan 10, 2013.

1. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

I just got a new Fender P/J bass and I've got some 60 cycle hum issues. The bridge jazz pup is a single coil. I am going to have the bass sheilded, but am also wondering if throwing a split coil in the bridge might help. Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thank You!!
  2. awilkie84

awilkie84

Split coil pickup, or just dial in the P pickup ever so slightly. Also, once you start playing, you should barely hear the hum. Sometimes grounding with your hand can reduce it a bit, too.
  3. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

You can shield it yourself, which will HELP reduce the hum. A split coil pickup, however, would SOLVE the problem.
  4. faulknersj

Sounds like a split coil is the way to go.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

A Split coil won't ever sound exactly like a single coil, but the hum problem will be eliminated completely.
  7. MeLikeDaLowNote

MeLikeDaLowNote

What gives? In this day and age, why would they still manufacture basses that a plagued by such a simple problem? Is the single coil sound impossible to get any other way?
  8. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS Gold Supporting Member

+1

To the OP, I know that hum can get inside your head at times, but you will lose the true characteristics of the single coil that, to me, makes my P/J the "go to" bass in my collection. My P/J hums ... in between songs ... but I know it's going to song sweet and punch through with the full band going, and it does. Can't hear any hum when playing.
  9. mystic38

mystic38

nope.. there is no sort of hum reducing pickup that sounds like a single coil..

and if you put a split coil, or hum cancelling pickup in the bridge position, then quite simply, it is no longer a P/J

10. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    So the Fender J's with noiseless pickups are not really J's?
  11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

:confused:

PJ's come with all kinds of pickups. As long as one of those is a P pickup and the other is a J pickup...it's a PJ.
  12. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

Not if you want single coils in your J.
  13. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS Gold Supporting Member

It comes down to why you want a P/J in the first place ... I added a single-coil J to my P-Bass to add some top-end clarity and crispness. Other pickups that are not true single coils will fit without modification, and they may sound great, but they won't deliver the same kind of top-end clarity that compliments the P split coil so well (in my opinion). I've learned to embrace the hum personally :)
  14. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

I could not stand the 60 Hz hum on my first jazz bass. [I have come to embrace it more fully now.] So my solution was to install DiMarzio DP123 Model J pickups. Those are some excellent sounding split coils IMHO...it still sounds just like a Jazz...and the hum is GONE.
  15. faulknersj

Thanks for the input guys! I'm definitely dropping a split coil in and the buzz is not an option for me with the venues I play. I need a output split coil jazz pup. I really prefer the 'stacked' single coils like Fender Noiseless (SCN).
  16. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Just remember that the humbucking bridge pickup you choose will need to match up well with the P pickups output.