1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Palmer Tube Di?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

2. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

3. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

Yeah it does... around the price of a REDDI I think, wondering if it is a fair competitor?

4. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

I see the Bassist from the Black Keys is using one, don't really know their sound though...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just looked them up...The Palmer DI is $1250 in the US. REDDI's $745. Palmer's from Germany, if I remember correctly, and well known for high end speaker simulation circuits. I'm no electronics expert, but the Palmer looks like it's just tubes and no output transformer, and it seems pretty lightweight for it to have one. Looks like a high end hybrid circuit rather than full-on tube/transformer like the REDDI. Probably a very nice sounding DI, but a different vibe from the REDDI.

7. Hobobob

The spec sheet says it's full tube (no semiconductors) and transformer balanced.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Ya, it does have a transformer in the path, but it's likely not the same kind of big iron output transformer in the REDDI. Not if it weighs less than 6 lbs. Sounds to me more like those Jensen transformers that are smaller and show up in a lot of DI's. Again, this is all just based on looking at the gutshot and weight and putting 2 and 2 together, but the output transformer in the REDDI is the kind usually only seen in full-on tube amps and weighs a few pounds by itself. Not to say that the Palmer won't sound good, though. Wouldn't know that unless I heard it.

9. Hobobob

The thing that makes me scratch my head is the strangely-implemented 4 band 'EQ'. You get 3 levels on each band, and they go from flat to +8dB, no cut. Seems pretty much vestigial to me. If they were so concerned about keeping a "simple, pure signal path", they should have just left out the EQ and left that job for outboard gear.

10. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

The Palmer goes for €699 street, €889mrrp - REDDI for €799 - 899, if you can find one, that is....
    Still, I'm not in the market for any of them, my pockets are waaaay smaller....

11. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

Hmm I agree on the eq points, seems a bit silly to me, especially as they mention using it as a preamp but it has no volume/gain control...?

It does however have a balanced mic and line out that can be used together so you could actually get the affected sound to an amp as well as FOH...

12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

You're in Germany. Based on the current released pricing the REDDI is significantly less than the Palmer in the US.

13. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

Yeah for sure I can see the REDDI being cheaper in the US, here in South Africa they are about the same price. I'm gonna try get hold of one of these Palmers to try, I have played with the REDDI and Avalon U5 a fair bit so interested in a comparison :)

14. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'd be interested in that comparison too. I've got a REDDI and U5 that I use all the time for different things, mainly recording and practicing.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    That would make sense since Palmer is the home team for you ;)

16. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    Does it sound like a REDDI? I think the REDDI has become the new industry standard.. Everyone compares theirs to it... I think i get gigs simply because the engineer love it... I was on a session this week at a studio, the engineer had a Monique,, it was interesting... But we wound up using the REDDI and he just called me today to tell me that he bought a new REDDI... this happens all the time... REDDI Rocks! It has to be all the Iron in it and the simple circuit...

17. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Dean Markley, Pigtronix & Fishman
    We have one of these Palmer DIs out on the road with us. We use it for acoustic guitars. I'll try to run my bass through it sometime when I get a chance. I want to try it on my upright but my Summit TD-100 sounds great. I do wish the REDDI was easier to take on the road, but I'm glad it is always at home and ready for sessions.

18. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Right boot. Got it. Supporting Member

Wow! Tubes that glow like the bioluminescence of a black dragon fish, even in bright studio photography lighting. ;)

Just messin' with the photo, that's all. My SVT-DI has a similar artificial tube glow from a small bulb with an orange cap on it.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I find a way to take the REDDI ;) I've only not used it once on a fly gig that I thought was going to have cheesy PA, and it turned out to be really nice stuff and I bummed the whole time. Of course, nobody walked out on us because of not having the REDDI, but it just sounds so good that I can't not bring it.

20. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

I'll try get the REDDI back when I get the Palmer and Make some recordings and see if there is any difference...

21. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Wow that looks nice put a couple of NOS Mullards or Bugle Boys in there instant butter.