1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Peavey Cabs plus questions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MrBKerth, Sep 17, 2013.

1. MrBKerth

MrBKerth Bass Player with Big Local Supporting Member

Lucky me, some old American made Peavey cabs have fallen into my lap. A 4 ohm 210 and a 4 ohm 115. I enjoy how they both sound and want to use them both together, but I'm afraid of damaging my Genz-Benz Streamliner 900 by running it into them. I checked the stickied thread about this issue and the subsequently linked one, but I am still not sure. If they aren't safe to use as is (stock wired) is there a way I can get them wired to be used together (I've seen a peavey made single cab with this same setup in it at 4 ohms)

:bag:

2. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Run them in series! You can even make a speaker cable that'll do that for you for not all that much money.

This was the first thing google churned up and demonstrates the point if you want to DIY it. With series wiring you add the resistances. For you that'd be 4 ohm + 4 ohm = 8 ohm at the amp.

[​IMG]

3. MrBKerth

So I could just buy a biamp cable thats speakon on one side and 1/4 inch on the other?

4. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Sadly, no. You'd need to make your own. Thankfully it's not hard work at all. You'd need the speakon + to run to the tip of the first jack. The sleeve of that jack would connect to the tip of the second jack. The sleeve of the second jack would connect to the speakon -

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Probably would be better to clean up those gift speakers and sell them to somebody who can use them and use the proceeds to buy something more appropriate and a better match for your amp.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I think he should just go build himself a speakon series junction box. I built mine for under $20 including the box. He already went out and bought the cabinets, he might as well use them.

Here are the directions I received, I got all my parts including the plastic box at my local electronics parts supplier.

"Speakons don't need soldering. Make a box with three speakon jacks. One on an end marked "AMP". Other two on other side marked "SPK". Wire (un-tinned wire inserted into pins and tightened with the screw) from "amp" 1+ to 1st "spk(1)" 1+, "spk(1)" 1- to "spk(2)" 1+, "spk(2)" 1- to "amp" 1- done."

For the record, I am against mixing driver sizes, but that is a whole different debate the op probably isn't looking to have.

8. MrBKerth

I understand the arguments in mixing driver sizes but I didn't exactly have the pick of the litter on this one. I got these from a fella and like 20 minutes after leaving he emails me about giving me a head with these cabs as well. I just figured it's better than gigging my 210 avatar neos by themselves. Is it at all possible to purchase these boxes pre made? Perhaps you could sell them? I'm still very new to all this.
    Thanks everyone so far!

9. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

10. agedhorse

I think that you might find your Avitar 210 to be a better overall performer than the two other boxes wired in series.

Wiring dissimilar drivers (not size but electromagnetic performance) can create all kinds of problems that do not exist with either cabinet by itself or with the cabinets in parallel (not an option with their impedance and the amp you have). Each cabinet's impedance curve will interact with each other since they are effectively each other's source impedance and the results generally are not favorable. They are also not as high sensitivity as the Avitar that you already have.

What is the impedance of your Avitar cabinet? If it's 4 ohms, you will want to be careful not to overpower it as there's more power available from your amp than pretty much ANY commercial 210 can handle at the low end.

11. MrBKerth

Yeah, the Avatar is a 4 ohm. Kinda caught between a rock and a hard place.

12. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

I hope you use them, if not, sell them on eBay, someone who appreciates American made gear will snatch them up. In their time, the 115 and 210 combo was absolutely killer. If it were me, I would build the cable like everyone's mentioning to you, and use the cabs. Don't go getting rid of them until you hear how powerful a stack they really are. I used them for years and never had trouble hearing them. by the way, the new Peavey amps will go down to 2 ohms, and you can find an excellent American made Peavey bass amp head on eBay for pretty cheap that will do 2 ohms. Good luck!

13. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

I just read about the "mixing speaker drivers" comment, and I've heard it here so many times. These two were used together by thousands of bass players and they rocked the house. Don't get sucked into the "matching" cab argument. You may not realize it now, but you fell into a fantastic gift. Some people here are just snobs who don't like Peavey, but believe me, after playing pro for 30 years they've never failed me. I've had all brands and always come back to the American Peaveys for durability and volume. Honest, the 115 with the 210 cab on top will sound much more awesome than you ever thought possible. Keep your speakers, you won't regret it!

14. MrBKerth

I'll give it a shot at our upcoming gig then! (hopefully this new owner hears with his ears and not his eyes)

With this cable it will keep the Ohms safe for my head? How about it agedhorse?

15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

He already told you why series odd drivers is "usually" a bad idea. Nothing to do with why mixed cabs sometimes sound like arse or underperform matched cabs.

16. agedhorse

If the cable is built and wired correctly, yes. If not, then maybe not.

You will also want to be absolutely sure that you check (or have somebody who knows) the cabinets to be sure they have not been modified, of parts changed, or incorrectly rewired. It's very important that the polarity of all drivers is the same and that the series adapter maintains these polarities.

17. MrBKerth

Thanks. At this upcoming show I'll run just the 15 so that I can guarantee my head will be fine. Shows tomorrow :hyper:
    Then ill try out the series running. As long as it is safe for the head, what's a 20 dollar cable to try it? I don't see how insanely polarizing some of these topics get on talkbass :rolleyes:

18. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Or make or buy a crossover, run the lows to the 15 and the mids and highs to the 10's. That would maintain the 4 ohm load.

19. agedhorse

Provided the crossover is properly designed and the impedance is verified prior to using. I have troubleshot my fair share of "failures" in our amps where the problem was external to the amp. Crossovers are particularly problematic because the net impedance is not easy to calculate with reactive filters and loads. I have discoverd enough bad examples to caution against this unless experienced in the design of crossovers to insure that there are no net impedance issues. Difficult to do without knowing the details of the drivers being used.

20. MrBKerth

Just played my first show with the GB and peavey 115. That was the best I've ever sounded. No more single 210s at shows for me.