1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NEW Peavey IPR2 Series. What's the Story?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BurningSkies, Sep 3, 2013.

1. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Anyone? What's the deal on these...

Any insights on changes made besides just the color of the box?

Old:

[​IMG]

New:
    [​IMG]

Hey Peavey people, what's the deal?

I've been using one of the original IPR3K in my rig, and haven't had any problems, but could consider in the future racking another with my second preamp for options.
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Paging Bobby....
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

TB needs to join the 21st century and allow tagging in posts. ;)
  4. johnpbass

johnpbass

Not that looks are important, but the black does look a lot better;).
    I have an IPR1600 original version - great amp - plenty of power, solidly built, super lightweight, and great price point, IMO!
    Very interested in the differences in the "2" series.
  5. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

The new IPR2 series has a lower sensitivity input. Maybe less than ideal for some preamps.
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

That's sort of discouraging. I couldn't find a spec sheet for any of the 'lower powered' units, but the 5K lists:
    "1.95 volts +/- 3% for 1 kHz 4 ohm rated power, 1.8 volts +/- 3% for 1 kHz 2 ohm rated power"

Which would make it more than less than ideal for most bass preamp use.
  7. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

The documentation I downloaded this morning looks different than a few weeks ago. Says 1.95v @ 4 ohms for the 5000. Can't find the 2000 again, so I may be wrong on the lower powered modules. Better wait for Bobby.
    Edit: the dsp version states ~1v!
    Much better for preamp compatibility.
    I should finish reading the spec before I post. :D
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

It may be that they're pushing the series to be aimed more directly at pro-audio rather than the use that many of us have. I'm interested to hear what Peavey says about these and what the specifics of the changes are.
  9. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    MI Amp Engineer: Peavey Electronics
    There are a few design updates in the new version:

1. Sometimes class D amplifiers will become unstable if resonance is excited in the output filter. This can be because of the speaker cab. crossover or running super long speaker cables in parallel with the signal input cable (install applications). The new version has extra stabilization circuitry, BUT, some of the older IPR's already have that update. This is probably not a huge deal for bass players.

2. IPR's have always been rated for 2 ohm loads, but sometimes the older ones would overheat if both channels were running at 2 ohms at full power in warm venues. A little extra heatsinking was added.

3. A lot of pro audio customers thought that the IPR3000 had a more harsh high frequency tonality that seemed to be smoothed out in the IPR1600. The IPR3000-II class D control section was updated to reduce this quality and make it sound more like the IPR1600.

4. Components that seemed to be the weak links were beefed up...you know, general design update stuff.
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Thanks Bobby.

Will the new 3K support the same bridging configuration?
  11. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    Yes.
  12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Hrrrrm. Something to consider. I haven't had any problems with my IPR3K in the past year and a half, yet the draw of something that's refined/improved model. I'll have to weigh the cost/benefit part of the equation.
  13. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    Just to clarify, the new IPR2000 and IPR3000 input sensitivity is 0.775vrms.
  14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ooh! That's very good news!
  15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

I'm torn. I'm seeing the old IPR3K listed for 350$ these days. Hrrrm. Its good to see the input sensitivity hasn't changed. I was assuming that the 'big power' relatives in the IPR family were probably a bit different as they're obviously intended for sound reinforcement while the <3K models are more easily multi-use.
  16. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

That's great, gonna go correct a few posts so folks aren't mislead.
    Thanks Bobby.
  17. seamonkey

seamonkey

For those look at DSP - i.e. adjust things like sensitivity. This is true of the 1's and 2's

"The IPR DSP Series power amplifiers are the only power amps to integrate Waves MaxxBass technology, which creates precise harmonic overtones to give the illusion of added low frequencies. "

Except for the Crest of course :)

The original model IPR 1's are going for a song now that the IPR 2's are out. Incredible bargains can be found. Old and New.
  18. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Where is that? I've been looking for one of these on the cheap for the past month.
  19. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

I hear this little mom and pop store has them for 350$
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-IPR-3000-Power-Amp-105929004-i1490426.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CMaR3aDdsbkCFU6Z4AodRCoAKQ&kwid=productads-plaid^32411798681-sku^105929004@ADL4gc-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^18055317521

^ Good thread. Some good info about bridging in there.