New Peavey Tour TNT 115 cuts in and out on hard attack

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Agentkro, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Agentkro

Agentkro

Hey,

Just wondering if it's normal for my bass amp to do this. EQ is flat, gain is all the way up, and the volume is only on like 1 or 2, and the sound cuts in and out on an initial attack when I play my bass. Then the sound settles as normal. When I turn the compressor on, this does not happen at all. Is this because I've turned my gain all the way up? Either way, should a 600W bass amp still do this when the master volume is only on one or two? Thanks guys!
  2. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    MI Amp Engineer: Peavey Electronics
    Sounds like you're hitting the preamp pretty hard. What happens when you turn the pre gain down and turn the master up? If you want a distorted sound, use the crunch feature. It will help compress the signal peaks when you have the pre gain set high.
  3. kreider204

kreider204

Yup, turn that gain down, and the master up. I suspect there's a built in limiter that's kicking in.
  4. Agentkro

Agentkro

BbbyBld: Yeah, when I turn the gain down and the master up, I have to hit it REALLY hard for the same effect to occur. Once the gain is 5-6, it doesn't happen at all. Is this natural for this bass amp/amps in general? I've never been much of a gear head, so I'm just learning about this stuff. This is the nicest amp I've ever owned, and the first replacement amp (besides a small amp for college) since I got my first amp about 7 years ago on Christmas.
  5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Cranking the gain that high is obviously not working out. You have a gain, and a volume, which should be used together to get the sound and volume you want. It's never a good idea to max out any controls on any amp.
  6. Andyman001

Andyman001 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Or Possibly clipping the preamp.

Try rolling back the volume on the bass, using the active switch, or using the crunch with a bit of compression and lower the gain a bit.
  7. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    MI Amp Engineer: Peavey Electronics
    Make sure that you are leaving the DDT limiter on. The switch should be out.
  8. Agentkro

Agentkro

Thanks for your help everybody! Merry Christmas!