1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New pedal day! ss/bs Mini

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Denver Max, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Denver Max

Denver Max

Just got this baby in the mail about an hour ago. I absolutely love it. I'm sure most of you know all about this pedal already, but I thought I'd share my thoughts. Controls are pretty basic: Gain, Volume, Bass, and Treble are self explanatory. The bias is almost a voltage starve. All the way down and you get some sputtery gated tones, all the way up you have sustain for days and some harmonic overtones with the gain up.

This thing is so versatile. It does everything from a mild grit to full on fuzz. I prefer it in the middle though. It has a nice chunky distortion with the gain between 1 and 3 o clock and the bias just below noon. Like I said, though, I've only had an hour with it. I have a Rusty Box as an always on preamp/tone shaper, and the Mini almost feels like an extension of it. Now I can dial the gain back a bit on the Rusty and have almost a clean tone, and use the Mini for my grit. This is subject to change, though, depending on how practice goes. The bass on this thing is crazy. No low end loss at all. In fact, it can get bassier with the Mini than without. A first for me, after spending the last year with the disappointing Bass Big Muff Pi. If I didn't need the Mini as my standard-ish OD, I would crank the gain and bias and kick the BBM to the curb.

I got the top mounted jacks and it had a different design. Nice surprise! Everyone should have one of these.

Attached Files:

2. Denver Max

Denver Max

Anyone else own one that wants to throw in their 2 cents?
  3. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays... Supporting Member

NICE. Congratulations! I have a TAFM coming in next week... I'm hoping the SS/BS reputation is warranted... I'm a self confessed DIRT sniffer. :D
  4. Pastrami

Pastrami

I had a regular F*** OD a couple years back that I loved but the footprint but was too large. I'm trying to pick up a mini really soon.
  5. Denver Max

Denver Max

The reputation is definitely warranted. I'm definitely getting the TAFM next. And as far as I know, the Mini is very similar to the original F*** but without the crackle knob and with a bias. Definitely get one! The top mounted are limited to 100 but I got #27 so there are plenty left, and its the same price as the side mounted. My only complaint so far is that its so versatile that I can't pick just one tone to stick with. Also, I never want to turn it off.
  6. Pastrami

Pastrami

And a bass knob :bassist:

My F*** actually had too much bass for me at times, made my fuzz sound tiny in comparison.
  7. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I've never considered the Mini based on clips I've heard, so thanks for sharing. I'm kind of looking for a fuzzier overdrive that plays well with a tube preamp, might put it on the list. I've had a TAFM before, and ss/bs is quality stuff.
  8. OneAri

OneAri

I got a mini at the end of last year (though gotta say the new graphic on yours looks awesome :D)

Quite possibly the best bass distortion I've heard when combined with a booster with a variable mids setting (personally I'm using a TC Spark).

The bias isn't the most usable feature though- I don't think anyone that isn't Jack White has managed to make splutter/sag a usable tone. Still, think the mini sits nicely between the F*** and the TAFM though I wouldn't use it as a standalone fuzz

I know the guy that runs ss/bs is a TB'er so this seems like a good time to thank him for a whole line of incredible pedals :bassist:
  9. Denver Max

Denver Max

I just turn the bias down a bit to cut some sustain. A lot of my parts are fast picking and it really helps give some definition. I think it plays so well with my Rusty Box because the Rusty loves the mids.

My guitar player has warned me not to leave it alone with him haha.
  10. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things. Supporting Member

I had a mini for a while an really like it as well, ended up selling it to make room for something else but would definitely get one again if I could justify it. SS/bs makes great stuff!
  11. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

Ooof, I love the sounds of the Mini so much. This thread doesn't help my GASsing for one.

+1 to comments that ss/bs is a fantastic pedal maker. My TAFM will never leave my board.
  12. Denver Max

Denver Max

That'll be my next one. Unless I hear a bass demo of the Buzzz that blows me away.

Brian said he's working on a delay right now, but its nowhere near done. Should be interesting though.
  13. smllsnd/bigsnd

smllsnd/bigsnd

Disclosures:
    owner, smallsound/bigsound
    thanks for all the kind words again! :smug:
    these minis are not numbered sequentially though... :ninja: i think i've sold about 40 of the 100 so far?

i'm super happy to hear about bassists using it since i absolutely adore it on bass and i feel like not enough of them have given it a try. :atoz::p
  14. Denver Max

Denver Max

I'll be posting a review on your site after practice today. You do good work, sir!
  15. smllsnd/bigsnd

smllsnd/bigsnd

Disclosures:
    owner, smallsound/bigsound
  16. chaosmic

chaosmic Supporting Member

The Mini has been my main bass overdrive since it was released. I'm always recommending it on threads & am glad to see interest growing from bassists as it's an absurdly great dirt pedal. I also own a TAFM & have owned a Blargg, Year 4545 & a F*** Mountain. ss/bs pedals are by far one of my favorite brands ever. Cheers Brian!
  17. erigod23

erigod23

I love mine! It's very versatile.
  18. OneAri

OneAri

+1

The Mini has been my main bass overdrive since overdrive graced my board, and I see it being so for the foreseeable future

many thanks for your work Brian
  19. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    I want one of these, especially with the top jacks in a 125B!
  20. Denver Max

Denver Max

Just got back from my first full band practice with this bad boy. MAN! I am in love. Its never leaving my board. I might not ever turn it off either.