New Pedaltrain JR Build

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Double E, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Hi folks...

Well I have finally succumbed to the fever...having purchased some random pedals over the years and making some cool new acquisitions, I have decided to put them in one place and actually use them!

I have purchased a Pedaltrain JR and browsed many threads here for guidance on setup and signal chain. This is what I have come up with, but before I actually assemble it, I am asking the Effects Forum Brethren for last minute advice.

100% open to all comments and criticism...no holds barred!

[​IMG]

Tuner>>Octave>>Filter>>Filter>>Chorus>>Distortion>>Looper>>DI

2. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

Looks good, and functional. What sort of music will you be playing, with it?

3. Double E

Heavy groove based blues and rock.

4. Double E

Forgot to mention, I also bought a BBE Supa Charger power supply and it was obviously designed to mount right up to the Pedaltrain, it fit perfectly with the supplied brackets.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

On an unrelated note, did you manually put those pedals in after the fact or is there a way to do custom pedal sizes on http://pedalboardplanner.com/ ? I have a bunch of pedals that are not listed on their options and I would like a better way of planning a board...

7. Double E

I used pedalboardplanner.com for the whole thing except I added the labels in MS Paint.

For the pedals that they don't have images for, you simply select "Misc Items" in the "Pedal Maker" drop-down menu, they have several sizes and you can rotate them to match if needed. It's not ideal, but it gets the job done.

8. Adamixoye

It's too bad you can't further customize the sizes. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

9. Double E

Finally all together

[​IMG]

10. Double E

Okay, I used this at practice the other night...worked beautifully. The only pedal that didn't work to great for me was the DS-1. Sucked the bass right out of my sound. I either need to mod it or replace it.

What I want out of it is to give me an over-the-top rich distortion hopefully leading to some controlled feedback, do the DS-1 mods get me there or is there a favorite pedal for this?

11. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    The only advice I'd offer is that depending on how you use the BDDI, you may want to move it in your signal chain. If you're using DI, some venues I've played will prefer to take your clean tone to FOH for using the lows and then let you use your stage amp for a more full spectrum effected sound.

Just food for thought.

12. winterburn69

winterburn69

Yes. I've seen a few different bass mods for the DS-1. Google "Boss DS-1 bass mods" You could also just get a different pedal. Are you looking for just straight-forward distortion? Or perhaps maybe fuzz or overdrive? I have a Boss MT-2, it's a very over-the-top distortion and I've never experienced any low-end loss with it.

13. Unrepresented

Media:
    My MT-2 shifts the low end frequency slightly. I wouldn't call it "loss" but it does move it to a boomier frequency range than I personally would put it in, but I prefer my low end to be tight like a butt model wearing spanx.

That said, it'll definitely give you the over the top distortion and mine's a sustain and feedback machine.

14. Anarchyok

Anarchyok

Never really understood this logic - surely you'd want the effects going thru stage rig and front of house? Seems pointless unless the rig is also miked and their is a clean/effected balance being made at the desk. I get what your saying about keeping the lows clean, but surely if effects are ONLY coming from stage, there is a strong chance they'll be not heard.

I've never had a venue or soundguy suggest that, it's always been DI at the same point I'd send signal to the amp, that is, post all other effects.

15. Adamixoye

+1

16. kenstee

kenstee Supporting Member

Actually, it's the law here that everyone get a DS-1, find out how crappy it sounds unmodded, then sell it. Millions of alternatives..the Boss MT-2 or MXR Distortion+ may do the job or the new EH Deluxe Bass Big Muff or their Bass Blogger Distortion. Check out online vids and see if their sound does it for you. Lot more bass-specific dirt/OD boxes these days.

Seriously though, I'd try the DS-1 or whatever before rather than after the chorus. In fact, I might also try any Dirt/OD BEFORE all your filters as well. If you decide its not for you just switch some cables and change the order.

17. winterburn69

winterburn69

Oh yes. Definitely boomier. I found it much less boomy using my P bass as opposed to my Tbird. With the P, it was more of a regular distortion, what sort of bass do you use with it and have you spent much time fiddling with the knobs? I really enjoy the EQ controls. It gives you so much control.

It feedbacks like crazy, get a Boss NS-2 and it'll cut that feedback out.

18. Unrepresented

Media:
    Not saying my situation is universal, but it has been requested by soundguys in the past.

I just think of it as biamping -- they're keeping consistent lows that won't get shifted, cut, or boosted by effects and then letting my unnecessarily loud amp do the the rest of the work in terms of pumping out focused mids and highs.

It works better for me anyway because I tend not to like the thuddy bass tone that soundguys typically prefer.
    I use mine with my Warwick Corvette $$. I've tried different settings but, usually have to turn down the lows to reduce the boom, and shift the mids knob to a lower frequency to compensate.

19. Double E

Wow, thanks for all the responses! I am liking the MT-2 suggestion. I don't know when I'd ever find time to mod the DS-1.

The chorus is the last effect in the chain, after the distortion. I do plan on playing with the order of the distortion and the filters. As for the SansAmp...It's staying at the end of the chain for now, I'll deal with the sound guy when/if it comes up. I will make sure I have what I need to make any necessary changes though.