1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New pickups! Aguilar AG 4P/J-HC

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by micahbell, Jan 19, 2013.

1. micahbell

micahbell

Disclosures:
    Sales: Gerg's Music
    Yesterday I had my new Aguilar P/J set installed in my bass. There isn't a whole lot of info here yet and I just got back from practice so I figured I would do a "First Impression" post.

Ill first say I'm really, really happy with them.

The bass they went into was just a p bass so it had to be routed for the j, and the old pickup was a Fralin 5% overwind.

The tone sounds a bit more modern and "hi-fi" to me.

The p is more aggressive sounding with a bit more high end bite, but not every so. When the tone knob is rolled back a bit they sound very similar, but I like the ability to dial the bite in.

With both pickups on and the tone wide open it sounds very much like Geddy Lee's "Fly by Night" tone. I can also get a really nice finger style funk tone this way, which I've always had trouble with before.

The bridge pickup I don't want to say too much about. I like the tone, but I've never really used a j-bass before, so I have nothing to compare it to. I also think it'll take some playing to figure out how and where to properly use it.

And I think that's about it for now! I posted a recording of the bass yesterday, but the strings were brand new which I don't like. It's already soundinguch better but still not there, so ill update with sound in a few days

2. micahbell

micahbell

Disclosures:
    Sales: Gerg's Music
    Somebody on another website was asking about these pickups, so I got around to doing some sound clips.

The person was asking specifically about the P pickup, so these are all just the P.
    All but one of them are direct into a (bad) interface with no eq or post work done at all - just the raw pickups.
    There is also a clip that I had recorded a while ago with my Fralin, so I rerecorded it with my new pickup to compare.

Let me know what you think!
    https://soundcloud.com/user835239062

3. raveniskcrow

raveniskcrow

Thanks for the post. So the sound is well defined. I wish you would have contrasted the P vs J. I am looking to replace my PUP in my Hot Rod bass. So far looks like the Aguilar is winning.

4. bassclef112

bassclef112

I just put a set of these into my Warmoth and had a chance to try them for the first time this past weekend. I'm running them passive, V-V-T with a .047 cap.

They do have a nice high end, but my preference is with the highs rolled off about 30%. I don't care for a hi-fi sound - I like more of a vintage vibe.

These pickups are pretty hot - lots of output. I liked the neck at about 85% and the bridge at about 70%. It gave me a very solid, muscular bottom with excellent definition. Being the bridge pickup is hum canceling you can dial in any ratio of pickups without any concern for noise.

The bridge pickup is very evenly matched tonewise to the neck. Its tone is not as thin as a regular single coil and dialing it in doesn't provide treble so much as an upper mid grit. The tone control gives whatever zing you want to add. Overall I don't find them quite as bright - but the upper mid presence is excellent.

I used this bass with a Thunderfunk 550B/Baer ML112 and a GK800RB/Aguilar GS212 with the tweeter rolled back. Both gave me excellent focused low end with a nice punch that cut the mix easily. I used very little EQ in both cases and got exactly what I was looking for.

I am very happy with this set so far and feel they fully meet my expectations, producing the tones I want easily.:D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nightvision

Nightvision

Bump!
    I hesitate between this set and Fralin PJ...
    Any opinions?

7. Nightvision

Nightvision

Does the P pickup sound warm and thick? or clean and modern?
    I would like to have a thick and juicy sound, clear but with a big low mid :)

8. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

You described the sound of the DiMarzio Model P 122 - I use both this pickup AND the Aggie 4P.

9. bassclef112

bassclef112

The Aguilar P is thick and juicy and the set has great low mids.

Look - regardless of what anybody says, you're not going to know what any set sounds like until you put it in your bass.

Aguilar, Fralin, Delano, Nordstrand, DiMarzio etc

All good. You pays your money and you takes your chance. Agonizing over it won't change anything. Each of these brands (and more) have made a lot of people happy.

10. Nightvision

Nightvision

Thanks!
    I had the Dimarzio set on a bass i sold, this set is really good, but lacks of "clarity", maybe because of ceramic magnet.
    My choice will be the Aguilar, not too expensive and seems really good.