1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Pickups Day

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ragoo, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Ragoo

Ragoo

Just an update on my newest of bass-related obsessions: Mods!

The stock pickups on my Ibby SRP400 were fairly lackluster, so as my first embark into the world of modifications, I decided to replace them with some DiMarzio DP175 pickups. As soon as the UPS man dropped them off on my doorstep, I rushed to get my bass and headed off to the garage, new pickups in hand. After an hour of trying to solder and re-solder wires (which lead to some of the most sloppy solders I'm ashamed to say I produced) I managed to finally finish the install, and let me say, this bass sounds as good as it looks now. These new pickups have a much wider response, dealing out but-rumbling lows and singing highs, instead of the dull response the stock pickups gave. I'm proud to say that my first mod (albeit small) was as successful as I had hoped. :D

I also ordered a set of SD Basslines (one P, one J) and a Bartolini active preamp which should be arriving tomorrow. These will be going on my other Ibby, a used $100 GSR200 bought specifically for modifications. Wish me luck! :hyper:

Attached Files:

2. silasreid

silasreid

how do you think these Dimarzio pickups would hold in a metal band? as in how hot is the output and how fucused is the midrange?
  3. punisher911

punisher911

I'm interested in these as well. I have some SX basses coming and was thinking of these pups for the P I ordered. However, shouldn't this be in the Pickup section?
  4. levis76

levis76 Supporting Member

I put a set of active EMG P/J p'ups in a GSR200 a few years ago. The jazz route was slightly different than the EMG case. The screw routes needed to be slightly widened as did the overall width of the route. No big deal, a bit of massaging with a Dremel and it popped right in. Not sure if you'll run into the same issue with yours, but I figured I'd mention it.

BTW, it was a fantastic mod once it was finished. That bass is sooo light and the EMG's gave it so much balls. It was great to record with, dead quiet with powerful tone. I ran it at 18V with just vol/vol/tone controls. Sounded great. Really regret trading it in. Barely got what I paid for the p'ups. :crying:
  5. Ragoo

Ragoo

The output isn't terribly hot, but with a little bit of EQ boost in the mids, you should have plenty of presence.
  6. Ragoo

Ragoo

I think my post was more focused on the final products involved with the pickup, not the more technical aspects of pickups, thus the Basses section post. But I do see your point.
  7. punisher911

punisher911

SRP400? I've never heard of or seen one before. Not bad looking at all.. "not terribly hot"? Hmmm.. I want a hot pup for a P to push my Orange TB tube preamp...
  8. Ragoo

Ragoo

I don't know a whole ton of info on the SRP400, but mine was made in November of 2003, so it's a relatively old model. There are scattered reviews online, and I've only seen two ever on Evilbay. I also haven't ever seen one in catalogs.

"Not terribly hot" as in when I played my bass right after being finished, I had to turn up the volume a bit. They're slightly quieter than a Stock MIM P bass, which is the last thing I played before I put the new pickups in. It may not be hot enough to really drive your Orange.
  9. punisher911

punisher911

Good to know.. Thanks for the heads up..
  10. Ragoo

Ragoo

Glad I could help.