1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Pickups for Ibanez Roadstar P/J

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Nov 29, 2012.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Hello All,

I have a 1983 Ibanez Roadstar with a P/J configuration. It still has the stock passive pickups. I have been thinking of putting a new set of pickups in it. Now the question is which brand? What would you suggest? I like to play Classic Rock to Hard Rock. I would like to get a nice round fat tone and also get a good aggressive P Bass tone. Is this possible? Also something that will not break the bank in the process.

Thanks for the help.

Shaun
  2. Substandard

Substandard

You just described the ibanez roadster pickups as far as I'm concerned.

What is it you don't like about them?
  3. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

It may be all in my head but it doesn't really have that signature Fender P sound. Like I said it could be all in my head. I thought maybe a pickup change might be in order.

Shaun
  4. mr pablo

mr pablo

I had an RS924 made in 83 and from what i gathered at the time the pickups were dimarzio's or oem's for Ibanez. compared to my Fender MIJ P from around the same time the Roadster sounded way better imo.
  5. waterboy

waterboy Supporting Member

+1

The stock pickups in mine have never left me longing for a change.

Try some new strings maybe?