New Pickups for my Eko 995??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MrLuckyStrikes, Jul 5, 2013.

1. MrLuckyStrikes

MrLuckyStrikes

Hey, all! This is my first post, and I'm hoping there isn't one like it on here already...but I assuming there isn't. I have a specialized problem!

I have a small collection of Eko 995 basses. These things are the greatest little things I have ever laid my ever-plucking hands on. But my oldest and most cherished one has a bridge pickup that has gone microphonic, and the neck pickup is getting there - on the whole, when I'm plugged in, the bass sounds like the creaky hull of a 19th century schooner! As much as I'd like to just have someone rewind the pickups, there ain't too many folks out there that provide that kind of service these days. SO, I'm looking for replacements that can not only fit in its sort of specialized-looking holes, but also aid my ailing axe's tone, and look aesthetically sound...ya know, pickups that won't make the bass look like it's undergone a majorly-botched plastic surgery. Dig?

Thanks for any help, folks!

(Sorry about the photo quality...this is all I've got at 4am! The bass in question is the one on the left, with the white dressings)

[​IMG]
  2. MrLuckyStrikes

MrLuckyStrikes

3. MPU

MPU

Ask David Schwab about rewinding. I'm sure someone will rewind existing pickups for you.
    Marko
  4. iiipopes

iiipopes

+1 on either dipping or rewind. Don't replace.
  5. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    I love those EKOs.... I had this one... same pickups.

Attached Files:

6. MrLuckyStrikes

MrLuckyStrikes

I will seek out this Mr. Schwab! Thanks folks. And @topcat, wowie zowie that's a sweet piece...there's one of those on Ebay right now I wish I could afford....
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Chances are all they need is repotted. The pickups in my Realistic violin bass came to life again after a repotting.
  8. MrLuckyStrikes

MrLuckyStrikes

Funnily enough, I got my basses repotted and given a pretty serious all around makeover just about a month ago. Its only the bridge pup on the one bass, and with the repotting methinks that one in particular grew to be more obnoxious, whereas the other pups in the litter flourished and bloomed!
  9. MrLuckyStrikes

MrLuckyStrikes

Calm yourself, Martin...our people are looking into possible meanings of and answers to your inquiry.
  10. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Played a sunburst Eko Violin back in late 60s. Damn fine bass, but back when I was young and stupid never kept anything for long.
  11. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    Sounds like a substandard potting job.
  12. Kreken

Kreken

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Sandberg basses, Darkglass pedals, Nordstrand pickups
    A beautiful bass!!

It seems the Eko 995 violin basses have two slightly different types of pickups, at least look-wise. The type that is in your pic with only four polepieces showing, and the one with "more metal" showing through the cover(as in the pic in the first post).

Does anyone know if these pickups sound exactly the same, or if one is more sought after than the other?

Thanks!