New pickups on old Fender J vs. Yamaha 424?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jack45, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Jack45

Jack45

Okay, long story short:

I have a Fender Jazz made in Japan that's maybe 10 years old. I feel the tone is not what it should be.

I was thinking about what to get (I was seconds from diving into a new Rickenbacker :cool:), but decided to get a Yamaha 424 based on reviews and the price :rolleyes:.

First thing I noticed is the Yamaha is much MUCH hotter. Also, the pickups seem to be a lot more touchy. Notes jump out more. I suppose that would just taking getting used to, maybe that's better. (Looking at a waveform, the Yamaha has all sorts of peaks whereas playing the same thing on the Fender the same way, it's quite smooth, wouldn't even need a compressor).

The Yamaha also has a deeper tone on the low end. But the Fender is a little more up front, more low mid.

So I'm wondering if maybe just new pickups on the Fender would "fix" it. Make it deeper, more lively, more like a great Jazz instead of a sort of lifeless one. Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks very much to you all, I've asked a few questions here over the past months, and I really appreciate your expertise.

2. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

I don't actually know jack after 40 years of trying, but the few times I ever replaced pickups in a bass that kinda disappointed me, I ended up with a bass that sounded different but still kinda disappointed me.

YMMV

3. Jack45

Jack45

:D

I bet you're right! I'd probably feel the same way. Thanks.