1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New PJ bass needs pups. fralin v nordy

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RedLeg, Sep 20, 2013.

?

passive PJ set

1. Lindy Fralin vintage P 10% over split J

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Nordstrand NPJ4SE

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. DiMarzio DP 126 set

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. Farm raised cage free carrots

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    Hello all. I just ordered my birthday present. It will be a warmoth mahogany P/J bass with an all rosewood neck. The J is in the 70's location. I am keeping it passive and am lookin at 3 sets of pickups.

1. Lindy Fralin vintage P with 10% over split J
    2. Nordstrand NPJ4SE
    and to show that expensive isnt everything
    3. DiMarzio DP126 set

I want this bass to do 2 things really well; 3 if you add "not be lightweight!"
    a. Jamerson thump
    b. Obnoxious Jaco

Of course I am always open to suggestions!

Cheers:hyper:
  2. peteybass

peteybass Supporting Member

IMHO the Fralins are great. You get that P thump with a bit more range and the overwound J does the Jaco thing really well.
    My experience with the Nordstrand NPJ4SE set was a good blend in P/J mode but the P and J sound was too much for me and not natural sounding. This was with a Delano pre but even passive sounded artificial but blended was great.
  3. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Of those 3 I would go with DiMarzio.

Look at the Aguilar PJ set too.
  4. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    I voted Lindy Fralin vintage... Just great pickups. .I do not like any of the Norstrad pickups. They all seem to have a grindy, harsh edginess that I dont think is very usable in critical situations..
    Fralins are great!!!
    Dimarizo's are a bit hotter.. But in general they have a nice smooth and punchy tone with a good mid push... And they are easily wired in different configs...
    But to get a nice round and fat set, that has plenty of output id say Lindy Fralin vintage
  5. maurilio

maurilio Musician/tech at Mo's Shop and Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    Interesting, I had that exact experience but reverse. I did like the fralin, but I though they were too 'grindy' and loose in the lows.
    Btw Nordstrand can over/down wind any of their pup...
  6. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

One of my P-Js has a Fralin set with the 10% overwound J pup. Fattened the bridge pup nicely. I couldn't be happier.
  7. aproud1

aproud1 Hit that long lunar note, and let it float. Gold Supporting Member

For a singel p pickup I love the fralins but for a P/J set the Nordies are the bomb. I haven't had a lot of luck with most p/j sets. Most being not great or passable but the nordstrands play very well together. YMMV
  8. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    I thank you all. Stay tuned for NBD in about 6-8 weeks!
  9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I putting together a P/J and after much thought I decided on the Aguilar P/J set.
  10. George Himmel

George Himmel

Disclosures:
    Manager, Bass San Diego
    If it were a fiver, I'd go with the Nordies, but since it's 4-strings, I'd recommend the Fralins. The clincher is in the P-pickup, of which I think both builders make superlative examples, but the Fralin 4 is better, and the Nordy 5 is (IMO) the greatest five-string P-pickup devised by the hands and minds of mortal men.
  11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:
    Nordstrand is the best product available, imo
  12. StrangerDanger

I like the jazz sets but the P was just meh to me.
  13. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    Been kicking around the idea of going with a dimarzio area p and area j combo. Anyone have experience with these?
  14. StrangerDanger

I really like the area j's.
  15. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

I've limited experience with Fralins, but today I just installed a NP5 in a bass and I think it's the best 5 string P pickup I've ever heard.
  16. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    For the money I think the area PJ combo is worth a looking at. I am over budget on the warmoth project and the wife is letting me know!
  17. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist Supporting Member

I love Fralins but I put a DiMarzio DP 126 set in an old Fernandes bass maybe 2 years ago and that bass sounds fantastic now, though it is still a little difficult to play :) But you get a really nice set of pickups in the DP126 set for what I consider very little money (for a new set of pickups).
  18. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

How do they sound? Not many reviews out there on the Aggies. I'd love to hear an Aggie vs Nordy comparision.

19. rigorous bass

rigorous bass

Aguilar!! Does everything you are wanting really well. Check them out. I just turned my MIM P Bass Special into a tone monster from heaven! I like them better than the Fralins on my Lakland JO. A little more aggressive but in a good way. Very musical pickups.!
  20. rigorous bass

rigorous bass

I agree with you. I replaced my Fender Am St P Bass pickup with a Nordstrand and immediately put the original back. The Nord sounds a little too tamed and compressed to me. Lacks that original p bass grind.