1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Pots and Capacitor for Precision bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bonga_rascal, Nov 17, 2012.

1. bonga_rascal

bonga_rascal

Hi guys,
    I have a 50's Precision bass. That's the bass made in Mexico. I have decided to change the pickup. I have decided to go in for a Fender 62 Pickup. This is the one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-original-1962-p-bass-pickup

I am also planning to change the pots. Can anyone tell me which pots I need to buy? I know that the value of pots has a huge impact on tone. I am looking for a fat warm full sound. So please help me with which pots and capacitors I should go in for.

Thanks.

2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
  3. Andyman001

Andyman001 Supporting Member Supporting Member

4. SRCRS

SRCRS

I just recently bought the same pick ups I went with a 500k linear taper pot for volume and a 500k audio taper pot for tone and an orange drop .047 capacitor. My bass sounds amazing now

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Media:
    I just got done a P-Bass Frankenbass that I built. I got all the parts from Bass Parts Resource, and I pickded up the Fender '62 PBass Pickup, two CTS 250K Audio Taper Pots (my preference I use them for both volume and tone), a Mallory .047uf Capacitor and Switchcraft Jack. I have also had good luck with the electronics from Mojotone, and I love their wire. They have nice vintage cloth wire, as well as a really nice braid shielded wire that I have used.

Don't forget a couple things, first if your going to redo Pots, Caps and pickups, do the Jack too. That way the whole system is an upgrade, second when you get up to the better pots and jack, you might need to enlarge the mounting hole. Make sure you are aware and prepared for that. Good luck!!

7. Mark Sacchetti

Mark Sacchetti Gold Supporting Member

Just a suggestion to consider nordy p pup

Prefer a matched set of vol/ tone pots . Like using 500k pots ...silver foil .047 uf cap and high quality wiring
    http://www.singlecoil.com/shop.html

Hope this helps

8. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Deep? Can't beat 250K + 0.1uF.
    Not so deep but still deep? 250s or 500s with a 0.047uF.
    Also +1 on the Nordy pup.

--Silvie