New (practice) Amp Day

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kcole4001, Feb 24, 2014.

1. kcole4001

kcole4001

Well, after some contemplation and research, and seeing a fair amount of favorable reviews here regarding the little Ampeg BA-108, I picked one up for use at my church for youth choir accompaniment.

I got seriously tired of lugging my Bass 350 and tuner in a rack bag back and forth every weekend, so thought a small practice amp should suffice, since there's no drummer, just electric piano and organ and about 10-12 kids singing and banging on various percussion pieces.

I just spent an hour plunking away on this little bugger, and the verdict is a big yes.
    Very good tone and lots of volume, I shouldn't have to run it any more than 1/2 volume, probably more like 1/3.
    I had everything rattling pretty heavily at half volume here at home.

So, thanks TB, I scored a handy little piece of gear which will make life a little easier, and it only cost me $118 with tax and 2 year extended warranty ($5).
  2. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

Your back will thank you for sure
  3. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

That excites me too. I just ordered me one rom Guitar Center and with discount got it for $79 shipped. I'm so tired of lugging my big rig from church to the house to practice. I can't wait to test this amp out in a couple days.
  4. kcole4001

kcole4001

It sounds good, three basic boost/cut controls for low/mid/high.
    The manual says the freqs are centred at 40/600/5000 hz.
    I played my 4003 and Squier VM Jazz through it for an hour and found I like it set flat with maybe a little mid boost and a touch of low boost.

Lots of room for adjustment, and at half volume everything in the room rattled quite seriously.
    Lots of guts for a church setting without drums.

I'm gonna leave mine at the church, take my backup amp and 2X10 to the guitar player's house for rehearsals, and keep my main rig at home so I have it available for whatever gig comes up.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. southpaw723

southpaw723

Congrats on your new amp. I absolutely love my Ba108, I can get some awesome tones with it.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Killer little amp. I've got one and use it on my occasional old timey jazz gigs with an upright.
  8. JakobT

JakobT

Congratulations!
  9. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Brilliant little amps, but as a note, they can't be turned up more than a third generally before giving up. So 3-4 on the dial is all the way up.
  10. gary m

gary m

There's a speaker upgrade for the 108 that will net you more volume before it begins to fart out...think its the Eminence Alpha 8. There's a thread here on TB that outlines this and an IC mod that ups the output to 35 watts, if you're interested. :)
  11. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

I've read about the speaker upgrade but not about the IC upgrade? Where's the info on it?
  12. P Town

P Town Guest

Every BA108, or 110 I've ever tried, had a lot of hiss.

(It did not prevent me from buying one).

Anyone have a quiet BA 108/110?
  13. dls119

dls119

Details please!

I haven't noticed any amount of noise or hiss playing a low or high (for this amp) volume.

I love my BA108.
  14. DogBone

DogBone

Probably this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ampeg-ba-108-coffeeshop-micro-rig-915633/

Post 73 speaks to swapping the OP amp as well as discussing some resistor swaps to make the 25 watt power supply section the equivalent of the 35 watt BA110.

It may not come up much on Talkbass, but yeah, some of us solid state guys "roll" components and do crazy things like play with hotter transistor biasing much the same as tube guys do with their amps with a lot of the same results (a better, more responsive amp!). :)

However Woodstockz does a particularly good job in his thread giving a play by play.
  15. gary m

gary m

Yes, that's the thread. There's also a discussion in there about the 110 and various upgrades for that amp. The 108 seems to be an excellent platform for hot rodding not only in terms of volume, but also in tone and responsiveness. Go forth and tweak!
  16. gary m

gary m

And speaking of...just picked up a BA108 tonight. Ordering a speaker for it also.
  17. gary m

gary m

Did the speaker swap. Big increase in volume and lows.
  18. DogBone

DogBone

Cool, which speaker did you go with?
  19. gary m

gary m

An Eminence Alpha 8 from US Speaker.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    How big an increase in lows? Considered the Alpha myself, but then I play it as is and it sounds fine to me, and I really don't think I want bigger lows.
  21. gary m

gary m

In my case, I was able to get a clean low B at very close to full volume. Of course, the cone will get a bit looser as it breaks in, but I'm encouraged by the early results. Here's a few pics of the swap:

Removing the stock speaker
    [​IMG]

Prepping the foam install
    [​IMG]

New Eminence Alpha 8
    [​IMG]

Completed install
    [​IMG]