1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Preamp/Poweramp Completed

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by roscoefretless, Dec 6, 2013.

1. roscoefretless

roscoefretless

I finished up my latest preamp last week. I used Fdeck's HPF concept, but used a 12AT7 instead of the FETs or opamps. (He encourage me to post.) Took about 3"x3" of turret board space. Used the TCJ Filter Calculator with 24db Butterworth filter. Works like a champ. Made it switchable to hear the difference. Next amp won't have the switch :). Did splurge and use NOS Mullard 12AT7s.

Preamp itself is a 12AX7 in the V1 position with different options for cathode resistor/LED and 3 different choices for bypass - none, full, and partial. Tone stack - James with mid-shift control. Output - paraphase using 12AT7 driving XLR to Hypex 1200W(peak) power amp (2 400W modules bridged w/SMPS). Also, driving a Jensen DBE with a cathode follower using the other 1/2 of the output 12AT7.

The power supply is John Broskie's PS-1. Have used these several times and for the money, sound pretty good in a reasonable amount of space. Absolutely no hum.

Total weight - 14 lbs. I am getting rather old and my all-tube heads (TraceElliot and DIY) are staying home much more frequently.

[​IMG]
  2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Congratulations on the build. A build like this takes a lot of planning, thought, and work. Even better when it works.

So how does it sound? The PS-1 is a good design and affords a quiet amp.

What B+ are you using?

How effective is the tone stack mid shift? When implemented within the baxandall circuit, I find that this feature works but the range can be limited.
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Way cool. I've posted a number of DIY builds here using either Broskie's Aikido line stage or power supply boards -- PS-14 in the last one. Nearly went the Hypex route for my current in-progress bass amp build, but ended up using an ICE module I picked up used instead.

Hope to hear some clips of your stuff eventually. ;)
  4. roscoefretless

roscoefretless

It works well :) The sound - subjective as always, but I am a fretless player that wants to sound fretted much of the time (can't play frets - started as an upright player) and want quick attacks with warmth. This preamp has the most kick of any that I have built so far - this is incarnation 6 or 7. I play mostly R&B, gospel and funk. And some BeBop on the side :)

B-strings work well with this design - no mud and the HPF filter helps get more power to the cab without wasting power on subsonic string movement. The cone no longer moves when I push on the strings. Thanks Fdeck for the concept!

The mid-control has a wide range. I replaced the "normal" 120K or 180K resistor in the James stack with a 1M rev-log pot. Seem to get about 2-1/2 octaves this way. The extremes are not terribly useful. It moves the center frequency of the stack from around 200Hz to about 1kHz. I like it around 400Hz or so. The tone stack was an experiment - have a customer that wants a ukelele amplifier and we will be testing the tone stack with several of his ukes this weekend.

I am running 300V from the PS-1 and then have 3 separate Solen Cap filters, one feeding each tube. Each tube is seeing 280V. Running ~1ma per 12AX7 section and 4ma per 12AT7 section.
  5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

The filter on the front end is nice to have.

Thanks for the feedback on the mid tone feature. I find that I tend to set the mid and leave it. Using different instruments is a good reason to have it in there.

I like to keep the B+ voltage as high as possible.

I've bought some 6N1P tubes to try but I haven't got to them yet. They are known for their clarity.

I'm wondering if you considered a 6SL7 octal tube for the preamp. Being a fan of the B-15, I like the incredible tone of these tubes. Also have some RCA 1620's waiting in line to be tried.
  6. roscoefretless

roscoefretless

I have not played with octal small signal tubes.

I have used 6922 (not quite the same as the 6N1P, but similar) in hi-fi stuff over 25 years ago. It would be interesting to hear them. Cascode is what I used back then. Don't know how they would do with bass, but might be interesting with guitar - pentode-like without microphonics :)

I did pick up some 6cg7s to play with the next round - supposed to be similar to the octal 6SN7, just not as high a voltage rating.

Also, hard to beat the gain of a 12AX7 in simple circuits :) They certainly are easy to design with for cleaner applications.

My last preamp had an 3-way-active-Baxandall using 12AX7s and 5965s - too much gain. I am hoping to revisit this in my next attempt - hence the 6cg7s.

Thanks for the interaction.
  7. Passinwind

FWIW, my last couple of builds have used active bass and mids with a passive treble stack following one stage later. I used a 6SL7 and two 6SN7s.

BTW, what rack cases did you use?
  8. roscoefretless

roscoefretless

I used the Sescom stuff. Wolgram is now the owner of the name and manufactures them:

http://www.wolgrammfg.com/products/ruSeries.html

They are a pain to ground. Each panel needs its own wire to the earth bond point.

Also, by default you get solid top and bottom pieces. For a little extra $, you can get the punched top and bottoms. You just to have to ask - not listed on the website. Good folks to work with.
  9. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wow, those are works of art.

I have so much respect for the folks here on the forum that can built such as what you have done.

I love just reading the posts.

I wish I had stayed involved in electronics when I transitioned to the computer/network field.

Great job!
  10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

I've always said that Baxandall had better PR people than James and as a result most people call the James circuit a Baxandall. :p

The 6N1P is used in the REDDI, a DI that many here consider top shelf. A key part of the design is a big output transformer which helps it deliver its incredible tone. They use a highly filtered power supply, the single tube, and the transformer. A simple signal path.
  11. Passinwind

Ahh, thanks. I used some of their stuff in the past, and wondered what happened to that part of the business. I mostly have been using Par-Metal for cases these days -- their alodine ones make grounding pretty easy. As always, convenience costs though...;)