1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

new project #2: riff-oriented prog-ish almost-metal

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by hernameisrio, Jan 13, 2013.

1. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

I got a callback from a band that's kinda [see subject thread title!], at least that's how I'd describe them as someone who's a little bit of an outsider to those genres. They remind me a bit of Tool, tiny bit of Deftones, maybe a little Queens Of The Stone Age and Dream Theatre with some slight blues leanings. I became interested in the project because I saw that they've gigged a lot, they have a nice website that seems very well put-together, and it looks to me that they are very serious and dedicated players.

I have to admit their genre is not naturally something I'd initially think of myself as playing, but I was drawn to it because their style and abilities are so much more technical than the bands I've been in before, and therefore refreshing to me. I felt like it would be a good incentive to branch out and become a more flexible player. The band consists of two guitarists and a drummer.

Within this vein of music, are there any bass lines I should start wrapping my head around, any styles or tones I should maybe think about, just to dive in a little more and have some background knowledge?
  2. lostcontrol_

lostcontrol_

Sounds cool, and getting outside of your safety zone's always great.

I think I'd just go through some
    - Tool (Schism - took a while to nail that to the click, Forty six & 2, The Grudge, Undertow etc)
    - stoner (Kyuss: Demon Cleaner, Asteroid for example, Helmet)
    - scales and modes with position variations etc. (While I respect Dream Theaters John Myung, I think that he does way too many notes :) )
    - unspecified math/progressive rock of your choosing, or some tech death/prog metal, if you will (f.ex. Gojira, Opeth, Mastodon, whatnot)

Good luck and congrats!
  3. lostcontrol_

lostcontrol_

Also, brushing up on fun time signatures (5/4,6/4,7/8) and changes probably won't hurt.
  4. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

I actually think Opeth is pretty sick. When I got my tattoo on my back, all I remember is just lying there zoning out to "Blackwater Park." Good suggestions, thanks! Playing with them again on Wednesday. :D