new project #2: riff-oriented prog-ish almost-metal

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by hernameisrio, Jan 13, 2013.

1. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

I got a callback from a band that's kinda [see subject thread title!], at least that's how I'd describe them as someone who's a little bit of an outsider to those genres. They remind me a bit of Tool, tiny bit of Deftones, maybe a little Queens Of The Stone Age and Dream Theatre with some slight blues leanings. I became interested in the project because I saw that they've gigged a lot, they have a nice website that seems very well put-together, and it looks to me that they are very serious and dedicated players.

I have to admit their genre is not naturally something I'd initially think of myself as playing, but I was drawn to it because their style and abilities are so much more technical than the bands I've been in before, and therefore refreshing to me. I felt like it would be a good incentive to branch out and become a more flexible player. The band consists of two guitarists and a drummer.

Within this vein of music, are there any bass lines I should start wrapping my head around, any styles or tones I should maybe think about, just to dive in a little more and have some background knowledge?

2. lostcontrol_

lostcontrol_

Sounds cool, and getting outside of your safety zone's always great.

I think I'd just go through some
    - Tool (Schism - took a while to nail that to the click, Forty six & 2, The Grudge, Undertow etc)
    - stoner (Kyuss: Demon Cleaner, Asteroid for example, Helmet)
    - scales and modes with position variations etc. (While I respect Dream Theaters John Myung, I think that he does way too many notes :) )
    - unspecified math/progressive rock of your choosing, or some tech death/prog metal, if you will (f.ex. Gojira, Opeth, Mastodon, whatnot)

Good luck and congrats!

3. lostcontrol_

lostcontrol_

Also, brushing up on fun time signatures (5/4,6/4,7/8) and changes probably won't hurt.

4. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

I actually think Opeth is pretty sick. When I got my tattoo on my back, all I remember is just lying there zoning out to "Blackwater Park." Good suggestions, thanks! Playing with them again on Wednesday. :D

5. Register to disable this ad