New Project Bass(es) Day!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moonshinegtrs, Jan 27, 2014.

1. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    A drummer buddy called me today and told me he was in a second hand store in the next town over, He said they had a couple of basses there that were incomplete; one was a P-style that was missing it's pickup & tuning keys and the other wa a double cutaway (he thought it was a Hondo) That was missing it's controls.

They sounded sort of cool (at least the double cutaway did), but not worth hopping in the wagon until he told me that the owner wanted $30 for both of them. That, I couldn't pass up.

When I got there, this is what I found (and bought):
    [​IMG]

The black one is obviously a Yamaha, at least the body is. Possibly a Mighty Mite neck?

The other one is pretty interesting. I'm thinking it is most likely a Cort or Arbor brand. It appears to be short or medium scale with a bolt on neck.
    [​IMG]

The best part is the Sperzel locking tuning keys that are installed on the double cutaway bass...
    [​IMG]

These were originally meant to be parted out, but now I'm thinking of getting both of them up & running.

Moonshine :bassist:

2. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    Nice.
    That double cutaway bass is very cool.

3. Junk420

Junk420

I'm no expert, but I think that double cutaway is a Cort as well.

Either way, wicked grabs for $30.

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

The tuners on the double cut are extremely good quality, probably worth more than $30. I've got a set that have been on my Dingwall for over 20 years and they're still doing the job quite perfectly, and they've incurred some hard hits over the years!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Justice

Justice

Disclosures:
    The bass rescuer...
    is the double cutaway neck through? It might be an Aria. Looks like it has Dimarzio pickups. The parts on that one were worth the $30

7. Rosebud

Rosebud Previously sbassface Supporting Member

I was thinking vantage on the double cutaway, initial reaction.

8. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I kinda think that they are both Vantage, but that is not the correct neck on the one on the left

9. Basshappi

Basshappi

Yeah, that double cut is a keeper.

10. moonshinegtrs

Disclosures:
    Sperzels are great tuning keys. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that they were one of the first boutique style (& locking) bass keys. A new set goes for around 80.00. They will go to some other project, this bass will get a set of imported, sealed gear keys (Gotoh or similar).

The double cutaway is a bolt on; I would of loved for it to be a neck-through... It's still pretty cool though. The pickup looks like a Dimarzio (I know a lot of import instruments from this era did come with Dimarzios), but it doesn't have the adjustable polepieces.

I just measured the neck and it is a full scale (34"). That surprised me, but then again look where the bridge is (all the way at the back of the body). The body is plywood. I'm guessing the finish is black, it's pretty dirty right now. The gold "competition stripes" on the front are beneath the clear coat, so they must be original (it is a factory finish).

I'm going to make a template off the body shape (I've already got an idea for a new build. ;)) and turn it. If it was a neck through, it would have a permanent home, but I have too much on my plate as it is...

So I can clean her up, throw a set of tuners, a good control assembly & some knobs. Or, I can unload her as is for cheap.

Hmmm...

11. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I assume the "double cutaway" bass is the one on the right. What makes that a double cutaway and the other one not?

I thought there were single cut and double cuts and, obviously, neither of these is a single cut, so I would have thought they would be described as double cuts. Or is a "double cutaway" different than a "double cut"?

12. moonshinegtrs

Disclosures:
    Hey Stu,

You're totally correct... The "double cutaway" reference is something that comes from Gibson Les Paul Special & Jr. models, which come in single or double cutaway body styles.

I find myself referring to any instrument with two cutaways and symmetrical (or almost) horns as a double cutaway; as in a Les Paul Jr. double cutaway.

Fender style bodies like a P or Jazz are indeed double cutaway bodies too.

Sorry for the confusion.

13. pfox14

pfox14

Hard to go wrong for $30. Good score.

14. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Good deal....strip what you want, sell the rest ! Gotta love it. Reminds me of the $65 Affinity I bought last week that had new Gotoh Reso-lites on it ! Take off the Reso's, replace them, sell the bass = free Reso-Lites !

15. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
  16. moonshinegtrs

Disclosures:
    Here's an updated pic of the Cort (Arbor?) bass:
    [​IMG]

Found a set of new OEM tuners in a parts drawer as well as a set of controls. Throw on a couple of speed knobs ans a set of strings and it Rocks! Just need to make a backplate for it and it will be done.

The body appears to be plywood and the neck on this thing is HUGE, but it feels good... sound pretty good too. I have to do a little set up work, but it's definitely a cool bass.

Strangely enough, I am using the Yamaha body for a bass build that I have going on. It's made of solid alder and even the black finish is in good shape.

The Cort bass was what first got my attention, but the Yamaha body is going to make a cool bass.

17. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

That first one with no pups or tuners, the body is probably from a Yamaha RBX 200. From the looks on how the controls are placed and surface mounted jack as well as the body shape and cuts. Too bad it doesnt have the original neck, they look great. Wish i could get my hands on one, but i found a samick pj setup bass in black, that looks reminiscent of the RBX 200.

18. moonshinegtrs

Disclosures:
    That's ironic, because I just saw a RBX 200 neck on ebay.

I do like the body shape. It's a nice weight too. I have an older Moonshine neck that I have had around forever that fit's it perfectly (I will have to reshape the heel to match the Yamaha body). It will make a really nice bass. Here's the body with a pickguard that I'm making for it.
    [​IMG]

I have been doing several parts builds lately and I always have a few off the wall builds going on, so I have decided to start a thread in the Luthier's Corner section. I will use it for builds like this as well custom builds and whatever else I can come up with.

Hope to have it up by the first of next week...

19. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Looks good, but just me, i wouldn't install a pickguard. just my taste xD

20. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

That looks like a pretty cool pickguard, any idea on the color it will be?

Also, I believe that other bass is a Cort. I have 4 Cort instruments and I have come across a few of those basses.