New project - thoughts or feedback?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Aug 8, 2013.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

OK, so I decided to leave my old cover band. As it happened, practically the next day I got an email from a guitarist I used to play with asking if I wanted to form a new project with him. We're aiming for blues-rock but in a more laid-back rather than hard-driving style (for everyone who knows the guy, "laid back" is almost always the first way they describe him). He's a very good player and easy-going, very little drama.

We'd like to have a drummer on board and do the cover-band-at-bars circuit, but also have a set we can translate to acoustic shows at restaurants and coffeehouses (sans drummer, or maybe with the drummer on a cajon or something).

So here's the first ten songs we're working on for the set: we also each have a couple originals to throw into the mix.

Jim Croce - You don't mess around with Jim

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

Guns and roses - Patience

Beatles - Came in through the bathroom window

Beatles - Lady Madonna

Rolling Stones - Beast of Burden

Blind Melon - No Rain

Bill Withers - Use Me

Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight

Cake (version) - I Will Survive

So, what do y'all think? Viable list? Cohesive enough? Well-known enough? I know everyone says they're trying not to do the same-old-same-old, but we're trying to keep it to generally known tunes.

2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Honestly - I think the song list is to old and worn-out for bar gigs and not mellow enough for acoustic restaurant gigs.

3. bluewine

bluewine Banned

I'm curious, how long have you guys been in the business and what is your collective gigging experience.

Depends on your area, I'm thinking you have done some research and established theres a market for what you want to do.

The songs seem to be all over the genre spectrum?

Blue

4. kennydakid

kennydakid

Depending on where you are in the NH area (I am assuming you are from New Hampshire based on your profile) Those songs may work. My experience with bar gigs is that you need to have more energy Bluesy/ Rock songs for that type of thing to work.

Songs I've Seen (Seabrook to Rochester Area) that went over well
    Cocaine - CLapton
    Road House Blues - The Doors
    Crossroads - Cream
    Jumping Jack Flash - Stones
    All Along The Watch Tower - (Any version)
    Midnight Rider

My old band used to play most of those songs. We also used to play
    Save Tonight
    Breakfast At Tiffanys
    No Diggity
    Don't Tell Me - Madonna
    I drink Alone
    Hey Sandy - The Pete and Pete Theme Song (Nickelodeon Show from the 90's)

All of those songs went over well in the bars in Southern NH and North Shore Mass

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

There is a duo (Jay and Kris) in my area doing something along these lines (along with playing together in a really, really good hard rock power trio). Acoustic guitar and bass player, bassist plays a double bass most of the time. It goes over well in some of the restaurant type places that have live entertainment or a smaller lounge, and as well as those hipster wine-cellar type places.

Two thoughts; a drummer might be a mistake, unless they are comfortable with a cocktail kit and brushes. Secondly, that will probably go over ONLY if the vocals are spectacular and you both can harmonize.

As far as the local bar circuit, around here you either have to be a high energy, loud rock band or a decent country band. Those more laid-back "easy listening rock" bands are not in demand from what I can see.

But the acoustic thing could work, especially if there are a good amount of jazz cafes, coffeehouses, or similar venues.

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I have a few problems with the set list:

- Some of those songs are really dated and will go over people's heads. Maybe for a Sunday brunch day gig with an older crowd it could go down well, but I don't see a market for this on the bar scene for anyone under 30.

- The breadth of the material seems too wide and unfocused. Bill Withers to Cake? Blind Melon to Jim Croce? They just seem a bit too unrelated to mesh well in a set. I'd either go modern or classic (90's and newer or 80's and younger).

- Some of those songs (probably) can't be realistically done as a two piece without some smart rearrangement. Maybe I'm wrong, but I couldn't imagine a few of those sounding right without another guitar or something helping out.