New pups installed and no tone knob

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jaxstarke, Dec 17, 2012.

1. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

Just had a set of passive Dimarzio p j pups installed and what used to be a tone control is now a master volume. So now i have neck pickup volume/bridge pickup volume/ master volume. I want my tone control back! Is there a way to rewire it and get it back? The capacitor isn't there anymore so I'm assuming I'll have to buy one if I do indeed need one. Is this setup something a lot of bass players want? I personally can't stand it. The tone knob was my friend.
  2. johnson79

johnson79

Check out Seymour Duncan for a wiring diagram.
    You should just need a .047uf capacitor and rewire it.
    Might be a good time to change all of the pots and wiring depending on the condition andquality. www.stewmac.com and www.basspartsresource.com have nice kits. Just need the standard J bass kit for a PJ.
  3. Steveaux

Steveaux

4. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

If the pots aren't broken, don't fix or swap them. However, you might want to get a couple of varied caps (.022 uF, .047 uF, .1 uF) and see how you like the tone of each.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

+1. And don't just do the "standard" values wither, try whatever you can from around 4500pF up to 0.1uF, sometimes the cap that sounds best to your ears in your instrument will be a value you'd have never considered. It's happened to me on enough occasions.

--Silvie
  7. iiipopes

iiipopes

Use standard American Jazz Bass wiring - just pretend the P pickup is the neck pickup of a Jazz bass and solder accordingly. You can get the schematic on line anywhere: Fender, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Joey's Bass Notes, etc.
  8. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

The pots are brand new as well. figured i'd start out with all new everything. gave it to the guy and when i got it home i realized what he had done.
  9. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

thanks everyone. i'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.