New pups or a boost pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheDepths, Mar 4, 2014.

1. TheDepths

TheDepths Supporting Member

Hello esteemed fellows of Talkbass!

I wasn't sure if I should post this in Effects or Pickups and Electronics......Apologies if I've got it wrong.

My two main basses are a MIM Fender 70's Jazz bass and a Musicman Stingray, both of which I love and are 'keepers'. The problem I'm having is the difference in output between the two when using my pedalboard.....I find myself having to adjust the level controls on my dirt pedals (B3K and Supercollider) when switching basses. I know this is to be expected with active vs. passive basses but was considering either hotter pups in the jazz or adding a clean boost (MXR Micro Amp) that I can kick on when switching from the Stingray to the Jazz. Any ideas?

Hope that made sense,

Cheers fellas!

2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

If you like the tone of the jazz i wouldn't mess with it. The more common solution to this is the pedal route. The Micro Amp could work, but you'd probably get better results from a preamp type pedal that gives you more control, or even an EQ pedal if you want minimal coloration. The Source Audio programmable EQ is a great pedal, small, can be used as a clean boost, and would give you the opportunity to have separate presets for each bass.

3. Berme

Berme

Xotic Bass RC Booster!

4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I use a Radial Bassbone for this purpose. Works well, but it's pricey. I'd recommend looking for a used one.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TheDepths

Thanks for the replies!

I do like the tone of the jazz, and the pedal route seems to be the most cost effective. I will apologize now if I've made a schoolboy error (and will eat humble pie accordingly) but I have my board plugged into the main input of my amp, not the effects loop. Would this have any bearing on my problem?? My amp is a Trace GP7 so has switchable active/passive input. By boosting the signal for passive after the pedal board is this adding to my problem??

Many thanks!

7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

You're fine. In most cases, this is the correct way to use pedal effects. The effects loop is mainly for rackmount effects.

8. Cloverfield

Cloverfield

I've not personally used it, but I'll throw out a +1 for the Source Audio EQ pedal. I've heard it's incredibly quiet and transparent. It would seem you could set up a flat, boosted preset to bring your passive basses up to the output level of your active basses (or the other way around, whichever you prefer). All that and you would have a nice graphic EQ at your fingertips to boot (and three more presets)!

9. lz4005

lz4005

There's also the Boss LS-2. Has a mode that lets you set volume for each of two inputs and switch between them without unplugging. It's small and inexpensive.

10. TheDepths

I hadn't even thought of that! Looks like I've got a lot of gear to check out :bassist: Cheers fellas!

11. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

That's how I use my SA EQ. I use it to boost(and EQ some)my Ric to match the output of my Jazz basses, which are pretty much equal in output.