1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New pups or pre?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by letsgethandsome, Jan 30, 2014.

1. letsgethandsome

letsgethandsome

Hey all -- So, I have this SBMM SB14 that I use as a back-up bass and it plays nice, and the sound is good but lacks just a little something. I was considering an upgrade to the pups or pre in the bass just to get a little more umph.

I guess my question is - If I replace the pups and not the preamp in the bass, will I notice a big difference? Or vice versa replacing the preamp in the bass and not the pups? Or which would be the best way to go?

I could do both - but then it gets to the point where I'm putting $400 worth of parts into a $400 bass.

I dunno -- this is just kind of a recent whim. Any thoughts would be appreciated.