New Quarter Pound in a Fender Classic 70's Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by headband, Dec 10, 2013.

1. headband

headband Supporting Member

I have had this bass for a little over a year - it is Made in Japan, and is honestly one of the best constructed basses I own. Fit and finish is superb, with a very fast neck that I enjoy playing. My issue with it has been the tone - it was just too midrangy - with almost no control with the tone pot - it seemed that the pot was either rolled off all the way or I had a midrange "honk" that I just couldn't dial out.
    Today I changed the pickup to a SD Quarter Pound and so far I am very satisfied with the results. This seemed to even out the response. I had to lower the pickup quite a bit - too close to the strings and it was pretty boomy. I will bring this bass to our shows this weekend and try it out in a live setting, but after a few hours, I like it.
    I also plan to change out the rest of the electronics in the near future.
    (Side note - the OEM pickup was a bit unusual. Two wires connecting the pickups, one blue, one black. Copper tape over the top of the pickup. Plastic bobbins. They seemed kind of cheap to me).
  2. jazznrick

jazznrick Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have the same bass and switched out my pickups as well (Custom Shop '62). It is indeed the perfect P with new pickups.
  3. BrianToska

BrianToska

I'm actually about to make the same exact change in my 70s classic. My problem is that the high mids are non existent.
  4. Bongolation

Bongolation

How? Why?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

I wonder what a Dimarzio Model P would sound like in this bass.... it would probably bring back any missing mids. My gripe with the bass is that they moved production from Japan to Mexico and kept the price the exact same, if not higher.
  7. Davo-London

Davo-London

I have a MIJ Jaco Jazz and the neck construction is exemplary. The maple has such a close grain and the rosewood really dark and fine. Amazing.

So

Fav pickups + MIJ bass = Heaven

Davo
  8. headband

headband Supporting Member

There seems to be a bad spot on the tone control. It is near the "tone all the way down" and there is a definite, abrupt change in tone when sweeping over this spot. It is subtle, and I could probably learn to live with it, but I want it right, plus I would like to have a better capacitor in the circuit.

BTW I was surprised at the poor construction quality of the pickup. It may be the cause of inconsistent tone with these basses. Anyway, as a previous poster said MIJ + new pickup = an outstanding instrument.
    Highly recommended.
  9. Panek

Panek

I don't have a Classic 70's P, but I put a Quarter Pounder pickup in my 2008 AmStd P-Bass because Klaus Fluoride put QP pups in his 1966 Jazz Bass after "Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables" and I love that tone, so decided to try that out in a P-Bass, and also read some great things about SD QP pups at the time - and been loving it ever since. I do believe that my bass sounds like it has even bigger balls than with the stock Fender pickup and now the classic, punchy P-Bass tone is even more strengthened. Awesome!