1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New red Ibanez SR 5

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by evilfly, Dec 16, 2012.

1. evilfly

evilfly

Hi Adam,
    If you will have some time, maybe you can share specs of your new Ibanez SR 5 and maybe a couple pics of it, sound clips etc ?
    Especially I am wondering, watching trailers for your new instructional website, I noticed it has Sperzel tuners installed, which is very unusual for Ibanez. What is it ? your preference ? or tribute to your Curbows)
  2. adamnitti

adamnitti

hi evilfly!

that is my new custom 5 string. i've had it for several months now and am really loving it. i designed it to be a more 'traditional' sounding instrument, essentially going with a jazz bass configuration, in the spirit of my curbow retro II (which i no longer take out of the recording studio). the body is a single piece of swamp ash. the neck is maple with a figured maple fingerboard. the pickup spacing is identical to a mid-70s jazz bass. given the body wood/neck wood/pickup spacing combination, the bass definitely has a bright jazz bass tone. the pickups are bartolini and the preamp is a modded version of the ntmb bartolini preamp. you are correct; the bass also has the locking sperzel tuners, which i really liked on my curbow retro II. in fact, i'm thinking about putting them on my custom 6 string, as well. it is very light and very ergonomic, which makes me want to play it all of the time. :) i don't have any sound clips to post yet, but i will try to make some time to do that soon. in the meantime, i'll post some more pics in reply to this thread. thanks for asking about it!
  3. adamnitti

adamnitti

some pics:

Attached Files:

4. adamnitti

adamnitti

more:

Attached Files:

5. evilfly

evilfly

Wow ! I have an impression, with those woods, and the rest of specifications this bass is perfect for slap style playing, both, ergonomically and tonally. Can't wait to hear it on one of your next recordings.
  6. adamnitti

adamnitti

It definitely works well for slap tones. It has a punchy low end and cuts well in the highs.
  7. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

That's my kinda Ibanez. All killer, no filler. :D

I am a J bass kinda guy and don't really care for fancy tops either. Really dig the simplicity. I also love Sperzel tuners.

How has working with Ibanez been, Adam? Especially vs other companies? Are you still with Warrior as well?
  8. adamnitti

adamnitti

Thanks for the positive feedback, madbassplaya! :)

Yes, this is definitely a simpler instrument than my custom SR 6, but I don't love it any less. :cool:

Ibanez has been great to work with. They have really gone out of their way to work with me on spec'ing out these instruments and making sure that every detail is covered. They have also been instrumental in providing clinic support, which is so valuable in this day and age of more conservative budgets. I am not officially representing Warrior anymore, but I still love my basses and am fortunate to be able to have them and play them in different contexts. Since they were also spec'ed by me, as well, they have a very familiar feel to my Ibanez basses.
  9. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

Awesome bass, simple, just like my GWB-1. I love Ibanez, I wouldn't play any other brand.
  10. cb56

cb56

Pre amp and pickups stock in that bass?
    Got ant soundclips?
    Just asking 'cause I have an old ('93) Sr 895 that I might be looking to upgrade the pups/pre to something a bit beefier than the stock AFR J5s and stock pre.
    [​IMG]
  11. adamnitti

adamnitti

hi cb56-

that bass is actually a custom build, and the electronics were tweaked, as well. it has a customized bartolini ntmb preamp and the pickups are basically the classic jazz bartolini's. most of my custom basses right now have the ntmb in them... it's a preamp that i've liked for a long time. i've also used the aguilar obp-3 preamp in this bass and liked that a lot, also.
  12. cb56

cb56

13. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Would love pictures of the blue SR6. Any place I can see them.

Also, are there any plans to release that like the GV series.

I have been a 6 string ibanez player for 20 years, your blue bass is the one I have always dreamed of!
  14. millsbass5

millsbass5

Adam,
    What's the string-spacing on your Ibby? It looks to be a little wider than what they normally offer. Please tell me Ibanez is gonna come to their senses, and start offering 19mm spacing on their SR line. I really think I'd spring for a SR5 (w/19mm spacing), I was pretty damn fond of my mid-80's SR800.
  15. adamnitti

adamnitti

i can't reveal details right now, but i can tell you i'll have some cool news that i think you will appreciate some time in the next couple of months... :)

millsbass5, my spacing is currently set to 18mm, but the bridge that i have on the bass will allow up to 19mm. 6stringpanda, i'll post some pics of the blue bass for you!
  16. scooter5

scooter5

Nice bass... I'm a huge fan of the Ibanez SR models. I'm currently customizing my sr505qm. So far, I've put Bart mk5's and ntmb hr5.4 preamp in it, as well as Wilkinson tuners. Still have to have the fretboard worked on and a new bridge, but it's my first custom job.
  17. adamnitti

adamnitti

18. adamnitti

adamnitti

19. scooter5

scooter5

Man... that six string is beautiful. Couldn't imagine how much you got invested in that beast. Did you do all the work on it yourself or did you buy it like that out the gate?
  20. blueacid4l

blueacid4l Supporting Member