1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Respect for Fender (MIA Deluxe Jazz 5er)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baird6869, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    I have always loved my Fenders.

I have gone thru Sadowsky, Roscoe, Musicman, Gibson and dozens of other "phases", but I have always been a Fender guy at heart. Still love playing my '74 P and '73 Jazz, but my tastes have gone more modern (and 5 string as a strong preference) as of late.

My go to basses lately have been a brand new Fodera Emperor, a MTD 535 and a USA Spector Forte 5.... The Spector had to go as 12lbs is just stupid for a bass.

Traded the Spector for a 2012 Fender American Jazz Deluxe 5er and a bunch of $$$ and figured i would flip the Fender within days and buy a Sadowsky, Lull or Alleva Coppolo.....

Long story short.... These American Deluxe basses are killer! The asymmetrical necks are great and the PU and active pre are amazing sounding and I haven't heard any 60 cycle hum.

The fit and finish of the bass is very high quality. Better than the 5 2008+ American Standard P&J's I have owned as well as my 50th Anni American Jazz.

In any case, this is likely a keeper. On par quality wise as any Sadowsky Metro I have played.

I will post pics later but it is basically a 5 string "Geddy" with black PU.

Pic added:

It is the one on the right.:D
    [​IMG]

2. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Congrats man, you're lucky my Sterling 4HH hasn't sold or I would have been all over that

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I would love one of the new Deluxe V Jazzes.

4. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

I just got one new and I agree on all points, except mine has an insane amount of noise when in active mode. It probably just needs some shielding. Other than that, I really love this bass. I was very surprised by the sound.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

The American Deluxe V's are excellent instruments. I just played a 2007 today at Bass San Diego and the neck was very similar to a Metro MV5. The newer basses do have somewhat noisy electronics however. I've owned 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2102. Each was a great playing bass with a versatile J-Bass tone. A new 2012 V with an electronics swap will give you an instrument that is on par with a Sadowsky (IMHO)

7. Baird6869

Disclosures:
    Good points.

I owned a 2007 Deluxe 5er (amber with rosewood) and it was really nice but the 2012 is better IMO. Better bridge, better tuners, better neck (rolled edges and definitely more of a asymmetric feel..... Also, dead quiet. Maybe I just got lucky as I have heard nightmares about the lack of shielding.

I agree the neck is likes MV5. I think the Fender is a bit thinner (front to back) and the Metro neck is wider (across the FB).

In any case, killer bass.

8. BassNGuns

BassNGuns

+100
    I have the same one and totally love it.
    Best bass I've ever owned. :)

9. Baird6869

Disclosures:
    Just ABed my old 1973 with the new Deluxe, and the Deluxe in passive mode is very close to the '73.... But more compressed and a little more modern sounding. Still a Jazz.

The Deluxe is definitely a keeper!

P.s. YES, the 1973 neck IS as thin as it looks!

Here are the basses in question.....

[​IMG]

10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I also traded a Spector for an MIA Jazz Deluxe. Mine is a 4 string 2011. It is one of the best basses I have ever owned.

11. pkazzo

pkazzo

Gotta agree on this 2012 am dlx 5er.
    Fender got it perfect on the fit, finish, and jazz sounding fury. (Dead quiet in active)
    I really didn't think I would love this bass as much as I do.

12. Jheake

Jheake

I own a 2011 Natural ash American Deluxe 5er and had it up for sale for a couple days because I was afraid I would never get used to a 5 string. A good friend of mine persuaded me to take the add down and just order a 4 string.

Just when I was going to, my little brother beat me to it and ordered me one.
    It gets here monday.

He got me the Olympic white with Rosewood in a 4 string model. Now Im set!

13. fish slapper

fish slapper

Gotta add to the love of this thread. Mine's a '07, amber tint with tort pickguard. The fit and finish is amazing and like stated above, the pups and the pre are dead quiet. It took a couple trips to the tech to correct the awful Guitard Center set up, but since then its been a dream.

14. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Thanks for the mini-review. It's the next one on my list...:bassist:

15. Baird6869

Disclosures:
    I am so impressed with this bass.

For $1699 new ($1200-1300 used), it is an amazing value. Not cheap, but the bass is flawless and the PU/pre sound great!

I need to do a full set with it tomorrow night, but I think this bass is a keeper!

16. Jheake

Jheake

I owned the same exact bass as you, an 07american Dlx J 4 with an Amber finish and tort guard. I should have never parted with it. That bass played amazing and it had some of the lowest action of any bass I have ever played.

I think the newer versions sound better though. Not that the previous model sounded bad in anyway.

17. Baird6869

Disclosures:
    I played the Fender Deluxe 5er for one set and I am super impressed.

Really great sounding bass. Keeper for sure.

The other bass I used was a Fodera, and the Fender sounded pretty damned good in comparison. The a fodera sounded a bit better, but it cost a ton more $$$$, so it should!

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Congrats on your new bass. Looks very nice too.

19. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

That bass sounds killer man, im glad you're digging it!

20. Baird6869

Disclosures:
    Thanks man. Back at you with the Forte!:bassist:

21. Wyattsgroove

Wyattsgroove

Any of the MIA deluxe basses and guitars I've ever owned and or tried out have been top notch. I regret selling the 04 jazz I had. It was special. It was the bass that got me back into fender. I have to admit that if I'd never picked up the deluxe jazz that I'd be playing another brand today.

Great instruments.

Congrats on your new bass.