New Respect for Fender (MIA Deluxe Jazz 5er)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baird6869, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I have always loved my Fenders.

I have gone thru Sadowsky, Roscoe, Musicman, Gibson and dozens of other "phases", but I have always been a Fender guy at heart. Still love playing my '74 P and '73 Jazz, but my tastes have gone more modern (and 5 string as a strong preference) as of late.

My go to basses lately have been a brand new Fodera Emperor, a MTD 535 and a USA Spector Forte 5.... The Spector had to go as 12lbs is just stupid for a bass.

Traded the Spector for a 2012 Fender American Jazz Deluxe 5er and a bunch of $$$ and figured i would flip the Fender within days and buy a Sadowsky, Lull or Alleva Coppolo.....

Long story short.... These American Deluxe basses are killer! The asymmetrical necks are great and the PU and active pre are amazing sounding and I haven't heard any 60 cycle hum.

The fit and finish of the bass is very high quality. Better than the 5 2008+ American Standard P&J's I have owned as well as my 50th Anni American Jazz.

In any case, this is likely a keeper. On par quality wise as any Sadowsky Metro I have played.

I will post pics later but it is basically a 5 string "Geddy" with black PU.

Pic added:

It is the one on the right.:D
    [​IMG]
  2. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Congrats man, you're lucky my Sterling 4HH hasn't sold or I would have been all over that
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I would love one of the new Deluxe V Jazzes.
  4. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

I just got one new and I agree on all points, except mine has an insane amount of noise when in active mode. It probably just needs some shielding. Other than that, I really love this bass. I was very surprised by the sound.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

The American Deluxe V's are excellent instruments. I just played a 2007 today at Bass San Diego and the neck was very similar to a Metro MV5. The newer basses do have somewhat noisy electronics however. I've owned 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2102. Each was a great playing bass with a versatile J-Bass tone. A new 2012 V with an electronics swap will give you an instrument that is on par with a Sadowsky (IMHO)
  7. Baird6869

Disclosures:
    Good points.

I owned a 2007 Deluxe 5er (amber with rosewood) and it was really nice but the 2012 is better IMO. Better bridge, better tuners, better neck (rolled edges and definitely more of a asymmetric feel..... Also, dead quiet. Maybe I just got lucky as I have heard nightmares about the lack of shielding.

I agree the neck is likes MV5. I think the Fender is a bit thinner (front to back) and the Metro neck is wider (across the FB).

In any case, killer bass.
  8. BassNGuns

BassNGuns

+100
    I have the same one and totally love it.
    Best bass I've ever owned. :)
  9. Baird6869

Disclosures:
    Just ABed my old 1973 with the new Deluxe, and the Deluxe in passive mode is very close to the '73.... But more compressed and a little more modern sounding. Still a Jazz.

The Deluxe is definitely a keeper!

P.s. YES, the 1973 neck IS as thin as it looks!

Here are the basses in question.....

[​IMG]
  10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I also traded a Spector for an MIA Jazz Deluxe. Mine is a 4 string 2011. It is one of the best basses I have ever owned.
  11. pkazzo

pkazzo Supporting Member

Gotta agree on this 2012 am dlx 5er.
    Fender got it perfect on the fit, finish, and jazz sounding fury. (Dead quiet in active)
    I really didn't think I would love this bass as much as I do.
  12. Jheake

Jheake

I own a 2011 Natural ash American Deluxe 5er and had it up for sale for a couple days because I was afraid I would never get used to a 5 string. A good friend of mine persuaded me to take the add down and just order a 4 string.

Just when I was going to, my little brother beat me to it and ordered me one.
    It gets here monday.

He got me the Olympic white with Rosewood in a 4 string model. Now Im set!
  13. fish slapper

fish slapper

Gotta add to the love of this thread. Mine's a '07, amber tint with tort pickguard. The fit and finish is amazing and like stated above, the pups and the pre are dead quiet. It took a couple trips to the tech to correct the awful Guitard Center set up, but since then its been a dream.
  14. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Media:
    Thanks for the mini-review. It's the next one on my list...:bassist:
  15. Baird6869

Disclosures:
    I am so impressed with this bass.

For $1699 new ($1200-1300 used), it is an amazing value. Not cheap, but the bass is flawless and the PU/pre sound great!

I need to do a full set with it tomorrow night, but I think this bass is a keeper!
  16. Jheake

Jheake

I owned the same exact bass as you, an 07american Dlx J 4 with an Amber finish and tort guard. I should have never parted with it. That bass played amazing and it had some of the lowest action of any bass I have ever played.

I think the newer versions sound better though. Not that the previous model sounded bad in anyway.
  17. Baird6869

Disclosures:
    I played the Fender Deluxe 5er for one set and I am super impressed.

Really great sounding bass. Keeper for sure.

The other bass I used was a Fodera, and the Fender sounded pretty damned good in comparison. The a fodera sounded a bit better, but it cost a ton more $$$$, so it should!
  18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Congrats on your new bass. Looks very nice too.
  19. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

That bass sounds killer man, im glad you're digging it!
  20. Baird6869

Disclosures:
    Thanks man. Back at you with the Forte!:bassist:
  21. Wyattsgroove

Wyattsgroove

Any of the MIA deluxe basses and guitars I've ever owned and or tried out have been top notch. I regret selling the 04 jazz I had. It was special. It was the bass that got me back into fender. I have to admit that if I'd never picked up the deluxe jazz that I'd be playing another brand today.

Great instruments.

Congrats on your new bass.