New Review! DAdario Kaplans

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by NicholasF, Nov 5, 2012.

1. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Well I recieved a pack of Kaplans from the nice people at DAdario, and let me tell you these are some awesome strings. I could compare them to their much more expensive counterparts.

Play ability : They aren't even broken in yet and they sing nicely. You dont need a fast bow to get sound out of them, and when bowing it just feels righg.

Sound: The sound is sweet but full, they arent flat or dry sounding. They are only a week old and they sound great, cant wait to see how they open up.

Feel: the string itself is a thinner string, and the nickel makes it feel a little different, almost more flexible and natural. Very easy to press down on, and no issue with flakes or strands.

Packaging : i like the packaging. Nice, clean, and most importantly simple.

Overall i would give these strings 9-9.5/10

Awesome orchestral string, and it doesnt sound bad pizz either.

My week one impression, stick around for more :D

2. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

When my website is completed i will put these strings up there (the link to the DAdario Kaplan site) with pride. They beat my Bel's, and Helicore's.

3. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

I'm guessing you're not a Jazz musician, but how do they sound for Jazz?

4. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

I am, i have a jazz quartet. These strings are pretty good for jazz, they have that dead, classical string sound that early jazz bassists had (think Milt Hinton- Ebony Silhouette) their great strings, and at the price it cant hurt to try then your self.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

I think how they do as jazz strings will depend a lot on the bass they're used on (as is the case in pretty much any string/bass match up, right?). Glad you're digging them, NicholasF. I've had mine on since April or so and they sound just great (please note, the Spiro Stark E I put on about 2 or 3 years ago spoke up and demanded to stay put). As I've posted elsewhere, they're like starks for the the bow and weichs for the left hand. My bass sounds even better/more mature with them on (and I play on a hybrid).

7. marvin spangles

marvin spangles

Didn't like them at all on my bass. Ok they were easy to bow. But pizz they were lifeless and colourless. No character. Belcantos were much more nuanced pizz. Depends on the bass.

8. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    +1
    My opinion too!

9. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

+100.

10. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Took them off of my bass after two days. I was mildly disappointed, after watching the online videos, and hearing much praise.

Truly does come down to each and every bass...as we know. Short version is that they didn't work for me, on my bass.

Longer version is that on my bass, the lower strings did not start easily; noticeably harder to "get going" than the BelCanti. The Kaplan A and E volume were much quieter than the D and G.

Overall set volume was quieter than the BelCanti. Overall tone was more "grainy" and "gritty" than the BC's.

G and D string tone was warm, transparent, and lovely. Singing, even, in the upper register, which the BC's don't do as well.

The E and A tone was somewhat hollow, with no strong center, and none of the room-filling sound that my bass normally produces, arco.

Put back on the BC's and was relieved to have the E string volume back, again.

Liked the low tension on the left hand. Found spiccato, etc. a little less easy on the right hand, on my bass. Didn't like the slightly rougher finish on the string surface, compared to the BC's.

The pizz sound was nice, on G and D, with moderate sustain, but again, the A and E sound was quiet and hollow, with less "bass" than the top two strings. There was no "there," there.

Messed around with Belcanto A and E and Kaplan D and G, which balanced well and sort of brought out the best in both strings. I find the BC G string sort of "ducky" from the D on up and the D string sort of dead sounding, so the Kaplan's blew the BC's away, there.

Ultimately went back to all BC's to regain the power, balance, and, for me, on my bass, easier bow response.

Trying to decide now on either a new set of BC's, trying the Passiones, or the Flexocor deluxe.

Over to the re-read the DFW5String thread, again....