1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Rick 4003 question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by antoniolopez90, Dec 23, 2013.

1. antoniolopez90

antoniolopez90 Supporting Member

Ok guys I just put a deposit down on this bass:

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/1346697.php?CategoryID=119&n=5

These guys have two jetglo 4003 in stock. In all the excitement I saw they were very close in weight so I said Ill pick the one that has the coolest finger board figure to me. I am very excited! :hyper:

Then I went back to look and see they have a neck thickness spec on there! Out off all the 4003s these guys have in stock, including left handed, mine is apparently the thickest.

Can somebody with a knowlege of what how the measurements .910-.940 translate into real life help me out? Did I put a deposit down on a baseball bat of a ric?

My other child is a Roadworn Jazz which I love, I dont think I am into thick necks.
  2. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

9/10ths of an inch is hardly baseball bat-like. Congrats on the purchase!
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Nice fingerboard; you're gonna love this bass. :)
  4. 10cc

10cc

Awesome
  5. The Unit

The Unit

No such thing as a baseball bat of a ric, however they all seem to be unique. That's what makes them so ricish. Congrats
  6. antoniolopez90

Well in Colorado my bass sits while I impatiently wait in Texas. It was a great price but I didn't get to try it out. :smug: thanks guys Hope it turns out to be a life long buddy!
  7. Crg2

Crg2

The neck on mine is thin and fast, as are most. Only a 4003 sounds like a 4003. It'll make you play with more abandon than before!! Congratulations!
  8. antoniolopez90

Ok lol upon eyball with a tape measure inspection these measurements line up pretty closely to my other bass, the only other I consider a keeper ;) my Roadworn Jazz.

I realize the Ric is the same width all the way down but I guess I am worrying about nothing!

I just watched a youtube video also the necks are apparently CNC'd so they should be fairly consistent from one to the next. I figured if anyone reads this that bit of info might be helpful, I wasnt fully aware of it till I saw the video.
  9. thiocyclist

thiocyclist Supporting Member

I have always known Rics vary a lot in their neck specs just by personal experience. It's cool that Wildwood actually documents this. However they seem to range around +/- 0.02'' which probably isn't that much to fuss about. Long-term data over a year or more, if they keep collecting it, would be neat.
  10. antoniolopez90

Ill see about asking about that in an email. Very interesting data indeed it would be.
  11. Jeff Scott

We have an Excel file over at the RRF with lots of neck measurements of owners/member's bass' necks. ;)
  12. antoniolopez90

How would one get to said spreadsheet? I nosed around the site for a bit on the site but didnt see an option to download a database or likewise :confused: Looks like they have a ton of data there though!
  13. Jeff Scott

I was looking to, it may be in a area that is inaccessible for the casual user as it is more of a data file that we try to update occasionally. I have it as a Mac Numbers file on my HD; the data is primarily neck girth at several locations along the neck. The data includes model and year of the measured instruments. Do a search over there for:

Rick_400x_Neck_Measurements
  14. antoniolopez90

hmm no dice on that :/ it seems advance search lets me go search the database but I see no neck girth specs!

Mind if I pm you my email address and so you could send me the file? I happen to be typing this on a mac :smug:

That is if its ok to be giving away such top secret info's :p
  15. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Just get the one that sounds good and feels right.
    I wouldn,t worry you,ll mould to shape with it.
    Enjoy
  16. marutizhiyi

marutizhiyi

That's what makes them so ricish. Congrats[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  17. thiocyclist

thiocyclist Supporting Member

Same as Wildwood (depth)? I've seen the file, I don't remember that data. I think I remember girth (circumference basically? and width) being there instead. For some reason I find the depth measurement paired with the width most interesting. I guess girth is a compounded measurement of several factors so it's less informative, in a way.

Also wink?
  18. antoniolopez90

My bass arrives today!!!!!
  19. Jeff Scott

:cool:
  20. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Post some pics when you get it.