1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New rig: Ashdown ABM 500 Evo III and SVT410HLF - tweeter noise

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Slowpicker, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Slowpicker

Slowpicker

Hi,

Today I got my first rig ever, an Ashdown ABM 500 Evo III and the Ampeg SVT 410HLF.

Apart from the fact that the tolex is getting loose here and there, the tweeter is making some noise when it is activated and a bass is played. As soon as the tweeter is off all is fine (via the controler on the rear side). The tweeter itself is working (checked that with a MP3 player connected to the amp), but it creates a constant grind or distortion as long as a tone rings.

When I am directly in front of the 410HLF this noise can be clearly heard. A few meters away and it is really hard to recognize if at all.

I read somewhere that sometimes horns do have problems with grinding sound signals. Is that correct?

Is there anything else I could try? Will I have to return the cab to my dealer?

THX!

2. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist

I had one of these cabinets, with the same problem. Turned out that the horn (the tweeter mounts to the back of the plastic horn) was slightly loose where it screws to the face of the cabinet. I used some larger screws to hold it tight, as well as some thin foam gasket material.

It only took me about two weeks, three different tweeters, and four new grey hairs to diagnose and fix the problem.

Also: unless you really love this cabinet, I suggest you return it and get something different. :ninja:

3. Slowpicker

Slowpicker

Thanks for your feedback.

I removed the grill today and doublechecked all visible screws and retightened them all a bit. Then I also removed the tweeter, checked the connection and all and put it back to the cab. So from what I can see all is well installed and looks good.

Which screws do you mean exactly? The screws for fixing the horn to the wooden cab face or the screws for fixing the plastic part to the actual tweeter (the metal part, where the cables are connected to)?

The tolex issue is a bit annoying and disappointing but can easily be fixed with some glue and a black felt pen.

Oh, I have no plans to return the cab in order to get something different. I like the sound! :smug:

4. Slowpicker

Slowpicker

To everybody who is interested in the result of this.

It was the amp who created this strange buzz or noise with the tweeter. I tried another head (a TC Electronic 250BH) and all was fine. The 410HLF is a great sounding cab.

Amp will be returned to the dealer.

5. Register to disable this ad