1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New rig questions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by FunkyMonk88, Jan 6, 2013.

1. FunkyMonk88

FunkyMonk88

Just purchased a new rig! GK 115 and 410 cabs both with horns, and a GK 1001RB bass head to go with it. Was wondering how the horns work, and if I should leave the horn switches on for both cabs, or just on either the 1x15 or the 4x10. Thoughts/advice? Also there's a 4/5 string button selection, playing a 5 string I figure I should leave that flicked on.
    [​IMG]

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Put the 115 on top so you can hear it reaching its limits. This way you wont blow it as the 410 will be louder.

3. FunkyMonk88

FunkyMonk88

From what I've seen a lot of rigs like mine have the "15 on the bottom? Not sure why.
    What about the horns though, leave em both on? Everything really punch atm even with treble turned down a tad and bass up. Sounds awesome overall though

4. IPYF

IPYF

I'd go pretty easy with that volume knob. That 1001 could blow the teeth clean out of both those MBX boxes without even breaking a sweat. Go easy on the 5 string contour too; anywhere past 12 oclock with that 15" and you might start hearing the sound of pain.

I think you can run the horn biamp into both cabs but I've never tried it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FunkyMonk88

FunkyMonk88

Yeah definitely gonna go easy on volume but wanted to buy a rig I'll pretty much never have to replace. Unless I get rowdy and the speakers go boom. As far as putting the "15 on top is that a good/bad idea? I see a lot of pros with their 15's on bottom. Then again I also heard that's just for show as they're actually plugged into smaller amps behind those, but that's beside the point.
    [​IMG]

An old pic of Flea's rig setup

7. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Nobody seems to have a good rationale for that in spite of how common it is. The consensus around here seems to be that if you're going to have two mismatched full range cabs with equal watts thrown at them, best to have the weaker one up top where you can hear it if it's in distress.

I think it just depends on what you like. Not sure there are any rules there. Me, I also turn down my highs on the amp EQ. I run my horn at about 1/4 to 1/2, depending.

8. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

Read up on your rig (and rigs like it) here in the stickies at the top of each forum. You are new to TB so you haven't been exposed to the idea that mixing driver sizes is not usually a good idea and the info you have been getting (presumably from friends or SALESMEN) is that the 115 should be on the bottom for the lows and the 410 on top for the highs. That is completely false and can be demonstrated both audibly and scientifically. The idea is a myth. Read , Listen, Learn, the 115 IS a weak link in your rig as it WILL fail when you start cranking the rig with the 410 on top. The 410 can handle way more power and therefore sound just fine whilst the 115 is gasping for mercy. If you play with controlled volume you may never blow it up, BUT there are other problems with this type of rig such as phase variance that causes differences in volume out in front of the rig (several feet away, like out in the audience) to vary considerably. This topic has been covered extensively so do some reading and post any questions you may have.

Please be aware that there is a faction/group of members here that refuse to listen or try and verify the claims that mixed driver rigs have this shortcoming. They like the sound of their rig and refuse to accept that they could have spent their money more wisely. These members refuse to hear as they listen with there eyes...

The size of a driver has NOTHING to do with its response. A better pairing would be 2 of the same cabs whether it be 2-115's or 2-410's.

9. IPYF

IPYF

I would stick the 15 on top these days. I spent years with a 15" at kneecap level because I thought it was providing me with more low end because it was a larger speaker. In retrospect I don't really think it did me any favours outside of added volume.

With half the rating of the 410 you really do need to have it up at chest/face level to be able to hear if you're stressing it. Don't assume that people with 15" on the bottom of the rig have it right. I used to scoff at bassists at gigs who ran their 15s up high and I'm now in camp 'humble pie'.

I wouldn't worry about the 2 cabs being a supposed bad pairing. They're only a bad pairing for you if you don't like what you hear and if they don't serve your purposes. Having 2 different separates is also good especially when they're different sizes. Taking that 15 over to a friend's house for instance will leave twice as much room in your car for beer as the 410. This is important.

10. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

The horn is not HMS (Biamp) with the MDX as I remember. So leave one on, both or none to your personal sound tastes.

11. FunkyMonk88

FunkyMonk88

Yeah I believe it all just boils down to personal preference like you said and the style of music you're playing.

Word I didn't have the money at the time but have another (matching) 4x10 on layaway that i'll be picking up as soon as i can. For either practice or leaving at my buddies house as a half-stack. Volume wont be an issue because I never have to play at full volume, be that practicing or gigging. And I've yet to play any major type of gig. The phasing issue is above my head but I'm sure if set right there should be no problems and possibly even advantages.

12. FunkyMonk88

FunkyMonk88

Yeah they're not, the NEO series ones are though but didn't have the money those cabs

13. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    The easiest way is to try it both ways and go with the one that sounds best...I'd put the 15 on top, personally :)

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 to putting the 15 on top. There are tons of threads on this topic, but bottom line, the 15 is the weaker of the 2 cabs, (think of it this way- your power is divided equally between the 2 cabs, 1 cab has to take it ALL, while the other one divides it by 4- leaving the 15 in danger). With the 15 on top, you'll hear it cry before it blows, which will save you money not needing a recone or replacement driver.

15. FunkyMonk88

FunkyMonk88

That makes sense I'll try it out

16. FunkyMonk88

FunkyMonk88

I like this guy

17. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

It's true, too. I'm thinking about deliberately doing a mis-matched pair this spring. A 15 to go with my 212. Why? Because the 212 is heavy for me. 55.5 pounds. The 15 is only 40. Why not go with a pair of 15s? Because I'm afraid it might not be a big enough rig for my biggest gigs. Besides which, the 212 a great sounding cab, even if wo of them would be too much.

A 15 could be at home while my 212 could be at the studio for rehearsal. And when that big gig came along, I could pair them.

Am I worried about phase problems? Not really. Some of that may go on, but I'm sure I can make the rig sound good with a little knob twisting. And the pair of cabs will be louder than either one alone.

I think the chief danger in mismatching is to do so in ignorance, and to do so with cabs wildly mismatched in power handling. (Such as a 15 and a 410.) One has to be thoughtful and careful to do that. Maybe best not to do it at all.

18. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The 5 string button is a destroyer of speakers. Leave it off any time you are getting a bit rowdy.