1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Rockbass Corvette vs New MIM Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by El Raro, Nov 16, 2011.

1. El Raro

El Raro

Search didn't wield any relevant results (ie. later than 2008) so hear me out. I know this question might appear a little generic.

I'm after a new cheap bass under $1,000 AUD. Right now, I have two basses in my sights - a Warwick Rockbass Corvette and a MIM Fender Jazz. Now, both these basses have gone through some revisions in the last few years so I'd like to know what your opinions are on the newer models of these basses such as 2009 onwards. Which would you pick and why?

Thanks for the help, guys.

2. etechstan

etechstan

I had a RockBass once, I would go with the Fender. RockBass is to Warwick like Squier is to Fender. The RockBass had very weak pickups.

3. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

I have played pretty much every rockbass guitar center has to offer and I would hold off until you find either a real German Warwick at a discount or I'd go with a $$ rockbass corvette. I'm not much of a fender guy. I got my corvette std ash 5 for 450 bucks ;)

4. El Raro

El Raro

What made the Roackbass Corvette $$ better than the Corvette Basic? Isn't the Rockbass $$ passive comapred to the active Corvette Basic?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Marihino

Marihino

I'd say a Rockbass. Those new ones are really good. Pickups and hardware are exactly the same as in the German Warwicks, overall quality is very high too. The only real difference is more conservative wood choice - alder, maple, rosewood. The only thing I don't care for are the preamps. Not bad, but nothing special either. Also, the "silver logo" passive MEC pickups are rather average. But, if you get one with "gold" active ones, those are amazing, better than EMGs imho.
    Having said that, new (post-2009) mexican Fenders are much better than before. I've tried quite a few lately and was amazed by the fit&finish quality, the evenness of the grain on the maple necks, playability, action etc. But still, because of crappy pickups and hardware, I see them mostly as potential modification platforms.

7. Marihino

Marihino

It is passive, but it doesn't make it inferior, does it? It's got an ash body, which some people consider superior to alder for their own reasons. They are just different tonally mostly. The Basic has single coil jazz pickups, one of them close to the bridge, which can give that midrangy jacoish sound, and other classic jazz-bass tones that you won't get from the $$. The $$ on the other hand, with its humbuckers and serial/parallel switching, has some sounds you'll never get with the Basic.

8. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

It just depends on what you prefer. You can get a corvette basic or a rockbass $$ for around the same price if you look enough. The biggest thing about the $$ is its weight. The one I played weighed a ton in comparison to my corvette std

9. RBX4

RBX4

Fender All The Way

10. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

I own both and they are very different animals BUT they are both good basses.
    This is my opinion, but since you are looking at them too, it sounds like you are attrtacted to them as well.
    Based on that, I would go for the one that feels best to you and sounds best to your ears. If you are a new bassist, you may have trouble determining that, but I'll bet you have a gut feeling.

I feel that if I had to choose just one, I would choose the Fender Jazz which will be a more versatile bass sonically.
    But If the Warwick has THE sound that you are after then go for it.
    I know- not a definitive answer, but this is all subjective.
    Have fun.

11. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

do you insist on new? 1,000 is a lot of coin--it can take you places in the used market.

side note: aud & usd are very close these days. 1013 US.

anyway i like the way fender feels better. & corvette seems dated. i prefer classic.

12. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

My Squier Jazz (MIM) beat my German Warwick Corvette. Finish, the Warwick was leaps and bounds above the Squier. Tone, well let's just say I now know I am a passive type guy. Feel, both necks were the 1.5" spacing so, they both were speed demons.

Now, I have sold my Wick. It was a great bass while I had it. All and all, I just couldn't find my tone with it and it was ultimately replaced with an OLP MM copy with an upgraded SD basslines pickup, also passive.

My recommendation would be for the Fender product but I also have fellow players that will never part with their Wicks so it really is your preference.

Good luck!

13. MattyH

MattyH

Just bought a MIM Jazz. Short and sweet run down:

Fit and Finish - Fantastic - The Sunburst is BEAUTIFUL.
    Neck - Fantastic - Silky smooth and PIN STRAIGHT out of the box.
    Tone - Fantastic - These pickups put out!
    Weight - Fantastic - Don't even know it's there.
    Comfort - Fantastic - Easy neck to play.

I have 2 Am Standard Jazz basses, a Frankenstien Fender Jazz, and my prized AVRI 62 Jazz. I wasn't going to buy a bass when I went 2 weeks ago. I played the MIM Jazz, and I walked out with it less then 10 minutes later. Besides my Stingray 5, it's my main player every weekend.

14. kjpollo

kjpollo

I tried the $$ Corvette RockBass and came away much less than impressed. The construction was excellent but I found the tone to be very one-dimensional compared to the active German-made version. You dont get all the coil-switching options (obviously, its a cheaper model) and I really didnt care for the primary tone. I thought it was very bland and I have my doubts about how it would hold up in a band setting.

I cant help on the main question though- I've never played a standard Rockbass Corvette and its been ages since I played a MIM Jazz. I know Fender has supposedly made some serious QC upgrades in recent years so I probably should try one again.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

+1...

- georgestrings

16. Marihino

Marihino

It hasn't got the "single coil" option of the German model, so it's shorter on the jazz-ish sounds. It also doesn't have the same switches, but the series/parallel switching is in the push-pull volume knobs. It takes some getting to know those basses, but there are some great tones there. Like switching the neck pickup to serial mode, and the bridge one to parallel. And mixing balance to liking. Serious throaty growl, thick and articulate, with lots of authority. Of course it's got its shortages compared to the german $$, but it's understandable. Still, great bass, I've tried many of them extensively, and although not my cup of tea stylistically, they are imho up there among the "best bang for buck" instruments.

17. El Raro

El Raro

Thanks for all the great input, guys. Really appreciate it.

I like the idea of the Rockbass Corvette using a lot of German Wick parts and design features even though the tone isn't there. I'm just worried about the QC on the Rockbass line.
    I guess the same thing can be said about the MIM Fender Jazz basses in regards to QC and comparability to the MIA range...at least from what I've been told.

At the end of the day, I'm just after the bass that will give me more bang for the buck.

18. ilikebass7

ilikebass7 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Marco Bass Guitars
    I'd go rockbass as far as consistency in QC my personal experience has been rockbass is far better than fender in that department. Never have owned a good fender and I've owned 5. All newer granted but not put together well

19. Bongolation

Bongolation

Even as low as I rate MIM Fenders, I would avoid RockBass at all costs unless you are buying locally from a dealer with an excellent return policy, as there's a very good chance you'll get a real lemon with flaws that may not show up immediately.

I've been dealing basses for over forty years and the worst bass I've ever seen in that time -- against incredibly stiff competition, I might add -- was a RockBass Streamer from a year or so back.

Most RockBasses I've seen have been badly defective is some way. Some are extremely nice, with no problems.

There's just no telling what you're going to get and the odds aren't good enough to take chances.

You'll also be able to get rid of the Fender easier when the time comes.

Buy what you want -- it's your funeral.

20. El Raro

El Raro

Great answer, haha. Basically, damned if you do either way.

Thing is, I'd probably save up more cash to at least buy an American Jazz or a Pro Series Corvette but I need a new bass by February next year at latest. Hitting the studio soon and my current bass simply refuses to work with me in that setting. I figured even if I went a little step up towards a MIM jazz or a Roackbass I'd have a better situation in the studio than I do right now.

21. etechstan

etechstan

I brought my RockBass Streamer to an open jam session and there was a teen aged girl there with a very low end Ibanez. She played for a while and the sound was fair. She left and I plugged in with out changing her amp settings, you could hardly hear the RockBass. I had to crank the amp. I'm an electronic engineer so I got home and checked the wiring and everything and it was correct, emailed the issue to Warwick, they asked for photos of the electronics and returned with a "I don't see anything wrong". If you want a Warwick, find a used one for the price you'd pay for a new RockBass. Don't buy a RockBass over a MIM or MIA Fender. Just check the resale of the two. Fenders, even MIM have a decent resale value, I took a very bad beating when I sold the RockBass.