1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

New Semi-hollow build Idea

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bassdude15, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Just throwing an idea out there folks- a semi- hollow Les Paul shaped bass with a quilted maple top and back, korina sides and center block, mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, mini-humbucker pickup (pbass position), in a cherry burst finish, longscale.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Bassdude15

2. Flashback Bass

Flashback Bass

Sort of like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a short scale, with a long scale you're probably going to have significant neck-dive.

3. reverendrally

reverendrally

Lespaul + longscale (34") usually = neckdive.

Hollowbody = 2 x neck dive.

Have you played a gibson/epi LP bass? I suggest trying one first. You may reconsider the body design after that. That's not to say singlecuts can't work coz they do, but you'll need a deeper cutaway and the neck recessed a long way into the body. I'd also consider 32" scale. That plus ultralight tuners might help things too.

4. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I have played an (epiphone) LP Bass; it was fine.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I was considering cutting the top and back thicker to balance it out weight-wise. Would that help( in addition to the above-mentioned ultr-light tuners and deeper cutaway?

7. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

By making it semi-hollow, you're reducing a lot of the ballast weight afforded by the solid body, so you'd need to take more drastic measures to give the thing decent balance. Like make it a short scale.

8. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

2 questions-first, how much deeper do you recommend making the cutaway?
    Second, the body's current thickness is 1.95''. I was thinking of a 1.4" center block. Should I cut a thicker one? And if so would it help with the neck dive?

9. Splods

Splods

Making it a headless would rectify the neckdive somewhat

10. Beej

Beej

I don't think neck dive is a big deal here necessarily. For every person that can't stand neck dive, there's someone who doesn't care. Good to play with the ergonomics to make it workable, but sometimes its just biting the bullet, knowing it's a factor of the design, and pushing ahead anyway for the aesthetic goal. Examples are t-birds, flying v's, sg's - no way to make the thing balance, its a series of compromises. If you want the bass though, so be it...

11. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Headless basses are VERY difficult to tune IME. Plus it would just look ugly.

12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Ok, I can see that point of view -- but if the OP goes ahead with an LP style, he should at least be sure not to follow the design of that Guild pictured above. The bridge is too far away from the end of the body, instead of near the bottom. That can make even a "normal" bass with a substantial horn neck-dive, along with making for a difficult reach to the first fret.

13. Beej

Beej

I do agree. I would personally never build, buy or rock a bass like the OP describes, mostly because I don't personally like to deal with neck-dive, and I've repaired too many headstocks to feel like it's an acceptable design flaw, but I also watch thousands build, buy and rock 'em with no concerns. OP for what it's worth, I'd rather play my tele guitar with an octave pedal at a gig than borrow my buddy's LP Bass... :D

14. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

But what do you think of the tonewood combination?

15. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

If it is pleasing aesthetically and is stable then its great

16. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Anyone know where I can get a TB mini-humbucker? Everything else is in order. By the way, a Babicz FCH bridge and Hipshot ultra-lite tuners eliminated the neck dive completely-wow!

17. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

18. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Ive found reviews and can't decide between Bartolini and Lollar

19. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Bart is half the cost. There's no way I'd go for the Lollar. A buddy of mine put lollars in his tele. I can't tell the difference between them and the stock pups.

20. Bassdude15

Bassdude15