1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New set of chromes, new dead spot. Bummed.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Fleebag, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Fleebag

Fleebag One note, one kill Supporting Member

Just slapped a new set of chromes, 45-100, on my am std jazz and suddenly there's a nasty dead spot at 6th fret g string. What gives? Is it the tension? Nary a dead spot before with many different sets of roundwounds. Anyone else ever have this experience?

2. soulman969

soulman969

FWIW all Jazz Basses tend to have dead spots from the 4th to the 6th fret on the G string. It's possible the move to flats just made it more noticeable. I'm playing Pressure Wounds on mine and the 5th and 6th fret have pronounced dead spots. To me it's the nature of the beast. Some have added weight to the headstock to reduce it but I've never done it so I don't know whether that will help or not.

3. pfox14

pfox14

Are these new strings that are different from what was on there before? When changing from rounds to flats or gauges, a whole new setup is required. Just a suggestion.