New Set of D'Addario Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bass-4-God, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Bass-4-God

Bass-4-God

I put a new set of D'Addario EXL170-6 on my bass last week and WOW. I play an Ibanez SR506, gospel music and it sounds amazing, tone for days. I replaced the DR Fat Beams with the new D'Addario's and I love the feel and sound of the nickel. These are definitely bright strings, just right. I liked the Fat beams but I think I am in for D'Addario from this point on. I have found my sound.
  2. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    The difference is the Steel and Nickle.

Steel is brighter sounding than nickle and lasts longer. It also feels rougher and has a higher tension.

Nickle has a smoother feel and a slightly warmer tone, BUT dies quicker. It has a lower tension.

I prefer steel because i like the brightness and the higher tension. After a couple of weeks it mellows just right and then hangs for a couple of months (for me).

I use the Prosteel D'Addario.

String tip: Try a taper wound string on the low "B" some time. I prefer this. easier to set up and balances a little better with the other strings.
  3. Bass-4-God

Bass-4-God

I might give the Prosteels a try next time around.
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I use D’Addario EXL170’s on my Fender Jazz and Deluxe basses and they sound and feel good - I like them. Years ago I use to use RotoSound strings - I love them, but the steel chews up frets fast so I switched to nickel wound steel. Plus I dislike dead strings so I change strings regularly and Musicians Friend has D’Addario EXL170TP (twin pack) strings for only $24.99 ($12.50 per pack), so price is another BIG plus for EXL170 strings.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. darkstorm

darkstorm

I like daddario better then DR myself.
  7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

I LOVE Prosteels. Such a GREAT sound.

I also use the Half-rounds on my fretless.
  8. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

I like Nickel Wounds and Chromes. Their nickel strings are PLENTY bright. Last a while too. ProSteels are the most comfy stainless roundwound I've ever played too, but ultimately that's not my thing.

I was also shocked with how bright the coated EXLs were. I had them on a bass once, they had plenty of ring.

Not super crazy about DR.
  9. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I use Prosteels exclusively on my Ibby SR's - nice and bright piano tones with deep tight lows ... and the price is right.
  10. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Nickel-plated steel strings, like the D'Addario XL, do not necessarily have lesser tension than steel strings of the same gauge, like D'Addario Pro Steels. Please consult the tension guide that D'Addario publishes. You will be surprised. They may feel stiffer due to flexibility issues, but flexibility and tension are two completely different aspects of strings.