new setup issues: orange obc810 + orange obc115

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by oktobert knox, Dec 27, 2013.

1. oktobert knox

oktobert knox

hello folks.

i want to change my live setup to an orange obc810 and an orange obc115.

since the 810 is 4ohms and the 115 is 8ohms i would like to change the speaker in the obc115 to the equivalent 15" 4ohms eminence kappa. that would give both cabs a total load of 2ohms which my 1976 ampeg svt can handle quite well.

does anyone have any experience with one amp driving a 1600watts cab and a 400watt cab together?

i am wondering if both cabs would react correct soundwise ....

2. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Considering that a 1X15 only has about the same output as a 2X10, I think it is a terrible idea to send a 1X15 the same amount of power as an 8X10 and expect it to make any difference.

If anything, it will limit you.

3. oktobert knox

oktobert knox

thanks, that´s my thought too ... might better be to bi amp that setup

4. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    Generalizing like that is often not accurate, there are certainly some 15" cabs that put out as much sound as a 4x10...

However, at the gig volumes you are likely looking at with that setup it's almost inevitable that you will destroy a 4ohm 15" driver trying to make it keep up with a 4ohm 8x10 cab.

Definitely not an advisable setup, there's certainly a reason I've never seen anyone running a fridge and a 15" sub side by side ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Sorry..........should have said "commercially available" 1X15's

7. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

If you are driving with an all tube SVT any good quality 115 is fairly "safe" anyway. Output 300 watts "rms" shared between the two cabs, driven hard the power supply runs out of gas at just under 600 watts (heavily distorted output).

By the way cabs are rated for maximum INPUT power, not "output" power. Those two cabs together would be rated for 800 watts (double the lower rated input cab).

8. Daniel Piper

Daniel Piper Supporting Member

What do you expect the 115 will add?

Driving that 810 will sound glorious.

9. oktobert knox

oktobert knox

thanks for all your thoughts!

@daniel piper: just used to 15s. i like the sound. have been using 2 ampeg svt 1540he left and right to the drums for the past 5 years. although my drummer tends to invade my space, ends up with his floor drum in front of my sides cab. i just wann stretch the setup, have a duo cab space on my side of the stage. my band doesn´t like to use monitoring so my stage volume is pretty massive and that extra 15 would definetley move some low frequency. although i know that 810 is going to have way too much power anyways

10. B-string

Keep in mind if the Orange cab does not meet the needs of the Eminence speaker that cab could wind up with weak low end output. You most likely will have to retune the cab for that new speaker.

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Do a search on mixing driver sizes. Folk have been blowing their 1x15s when paired with a 4x10. Pairing to an 8x10 is a pointless exercise as the 1x15 will never be heard.

12. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

Get a second 8x10 if one isn't enough. Why mess around with anything smaller when one isn't enough by itself? I must ask, being familiar with the 4x10, how god awfully loud is your band? Something doesn't sound right to me.

I suppose you could sell the 8x10 and get 4 TL606 cabs unloaded (essentially the OBC115) and replace all of the speakers with Eminence 3015's or faital 15pr400's and get more volume than an 8x10 when stacking them vertically. You should get better dispersion this way.

13. oktobert knox

oktobert knox

thanks again for all you thoughts and opinions.

my band is called turbostaat and it´s awful loud live ... , like 1976 svt with 2xampeg 1540he, bassman 135 + vibrolux guitars stage right and mesa boogie + deluxe reverb guitar stage left .... guitar amps cranked ...

2 obc 810 is going to be way too much, since my 1540s are just 400 watts each ...

and coming from that point of sizing down all that stage boom, cause my soundguy just cannot take it anymore (meneither ...) i might just go with one obc 810 and deal with my drummer ;)

i´m in the lucky position of endorsing orange in 2014, so all those more and much thoughts might come from all those options ...

14. B-string

Just a side note: You should disclose the Orange endorsement in your sig here when it becomes final :). Sounds like you have a fun year ahead! :cool:

15. oktobert knox

oktobert knox

if i just knew how this works :(

i´m kinda new to forums....

16. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

A single OBC810 will probably overpower 2 of the ampeg 1540's. Those cabs weren't particularly great iirc. Try a single OBC810 and I think you will get more than you are expecting.

Unrelated note, I checked out your tune "Harm Rochel" and it rocks. Dig the sound you guys have going.

17. oktobert knox

oktobert knox

thanks again - you guys got me, one obc810 - trying it in january and will let you know, what i think !!!!

18. B-string

Click on "My TalkBass" tab and "Edit Profile" on the left hand side, at the bottom is the space for endorsements. PM any of the Mods if you get lost and they can walk you through it better than I we can most likely :).

19. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Rule of bass, bass cabs split by drumset generate nasty lobing of your bottom end. If you're playing at the edge of being in the PA or not in the PA, your soundman will be shaking his head.

20. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Money no object svt orange stack: 3 or 4 of the iso 12 cabs in a vertical column.