New SKB Shallow Racks

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Passinwind, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Anybody using one of these yet? I have a 3RU one incoming, which seems to meet up with most of what so many of us have been wanting:

Real back lid
    Two flush mounted side handles
    Slightly deeper rackable space
    Rear rack rails (not sure how much I care about this, may just be a little more superfluous weight in my book)

Cost and weight both went up though, naturally...;)

[​IMG]

2. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Let us know what you think when yours comes in. I'm considering a 2RU one of these for my incoming rackmount DeMonique.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I like rear rack rails, great place to mount a power conditioner. If you have a short component in front that is.

4. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    No compensation issues here Bro. :bassist:

I do think a power strip could be handy mounted back there though, good point.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jaco D

Jaco D

Actually the dimensions of the rack is the same as the racks used in network systems. I was able to get a rail-mounted power conditioner from our office IT staff and mounted it at the back of the rack case.

7. KJung

KJung

That is a great update. FINALLY! That flat, sliding panel on the old design was horrible. These look great!

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

Cool, I'll keep this in mind! I believe my power amps (Stewart World 2.1) are too deep for this, but at some point I'll upgrade to a lighter, shallower amp.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Looks nice. A little heavier wouldn't bother me, the other ones were pretty super light

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    My ex-wife would probably say I had a short component up front, but what does she know.

Ba-zing!

11. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, pretty much +1 to all of that, although I have always managed to make the cheesy and annoying old back panel work OK for my particular playing situations. Typically I'm not an early adopter type, but this fits into the major restructuring of gear I'm in the middle of, and I think even my wife will approve. ;)

12. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    So far, so good. Not much metal in these, as the gasketing is plastic/rubber/plastic now, with no metal surrounds on the lids, and the handles are also plastic. The weight difference is not very noticeable to me at all. One thing that I'm especially liking is that I was able to mount on other centers than the default ones, so if I end up using just my 2RU head in the 3RU case I can have cooling spaces above and below the amp:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Bob Lee (QSC) likes this.
  13. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    So, how deep is it ?

14. somegeezer

somegeezer

It looks nice, but my Standard 6U does me just fine. Seems no reason to "upgrade".

15. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd put it at about 10.5" to 12.5" or so depending on whether you're OK with a little "hang out the back" factor -- at least now with the full back lid you have that option. With the old ones there were also lots of "just-fits" amps that required cutting away some of the back of the rack for access to connectors, which is no longer an issue.

16. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    I only see it as an upgrade over the old shallow ones, beyond that it's sort of apples and oranges.

17. 5StringPocket

Wow, really like that amp Charlie! I've read bits and pieces about it but that's the first picture I've seen -- looks like a very nice package. Does the back have that same open access like the front? The reason I ask is that the De-Monique has two vertically oriented speakon outs which require full chassis height access. The old SKB shallow with that cheesy back cover had a lip which made for a significantly smaller opening which made it unuseable.

18. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    The back is fully open, looks just like the front. The lip is gone in this new series.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my latest project. I also plan to do a hybrid one and an all-tube build similar to the Sadowsky SA200 eventually. So many rabbit holes, so little time...!

19. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with the old design. It is perfect for components like a wireless receiver or a small micro amp. The form factor was smaller, lighter, and more transportable. No need for a bigger rack when requirements are satisfied by a smaller one.

20. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep, I still have three old ones that have served me well for years and no intention of changing them out. FWIW, the only form factor difference as far as pack space is the additional 2 inches for the new back lid. Having two recessed handles is arguably much better for transport than one protruding one, especially if you have heavier stuff racked. I feel that the new design will be a lot better for racking things like power amps and full format rack heads no matter how you slice it though, and to a lot of people that old back door design was a complete deal breaker.

21. 5StringPocket

Totally agree. Whatever rack meets your requirements is the right one. For my use it looks like the new SKB Shallow 2RU should work for the De-Monique and provide good access to its output speakons.