1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Squier VM '77 jazz bass and mini review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by don21480, Dec 14, 2013.

1. don21480

don21480 Supporting Member

Just bought a lovely Squier VM '77 jazz bass. I rarely buy anything new but could not resist this one. 7 pounds 10 ounces, beautiful fit and finish. Was planning on upgrading pickups and electronics but after I got her home, lowered the pickups, adjusted the action, replaced the Fender 7250 steel stock strings with some NOS Fender pure nickel 7150ML's - plugged it in and decided no upgrades needed. I did pull the neck, steel wooled her into a satin finish, sanded off the headstock logo and shot some nitro natural finish on her to even it out and put her back together. I also added the chrome knobs instead of the plastic strat typle knobs. The tone is great - not quite p bass with the tone rolled all the way off and playing just the neck pickup but deep and meaningful - great growl adding in the bridge pup and opening up the tone a little to downright funky with the neck pickup off and the bridge full on with about 1/2 of the tone dialed in. The pups are quiet too - playing either one by itself with the tone a little below halfway there is no noticeable hum. Fender designed pups rather than duncan designed according to the Squier website. Bottom line - a GREAT bass that sounds and plays and looks like a much more expensive bass.

Attached Files:

2. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I love "bang for your buck" deals. Looks like a great axe.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

So, you're a "Squier-Denier"? :D
    Are you planning on putting on a customized logo?

Seriously though, cool find. I'm guessing it's a 2013 model, yes? I see no "Duncan Designed" branding embossed on them. So, yeah, that'd be a set of "Fender Designed" pickups.
  4. don21480

don21480 Supporting Member

No logo - i like the bare look! Yes a 2013 model - really impressed so far
  5. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member