New Squier VM '77 jazz bass and mini review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by don21480, Dec 14, 2013.

1. don21480

don21480 Supporting Member

Just bought a lovely Squier VM '77 jazz bass. I rarely buy anything new but could not resist this one. 7 pounds 10 ounces, beautiful fit and finish. Was planning on upgrading pickups and electronics but after I got her home, lowered the pickups, adjusted the action, replaced the Fender 7250 steel stock strings with some NOS Fender pure nickel 7150ML's - plugged it in and decided no upgrades needed. I did pull the neck, steel wooled her into a satin finish, sanded off the headstock logo and shot some nitro natural finish on her to even it out and put her back together. I also added the chrome knobs instead of the plastic strat typle knobs. The tone is great - not quite p bass with the tone rolled all the way off and playing just the neck pickup but deep and meaningful - great growl adding in the bridge pup and opening up the tone a little to downright funky with the neck pickup off and the bridge full on with about 1/2 of the tone dialed in. The pups are quiet too - playing either one by itself with the tone a little below halfway there is no noticeable hum. Fender designed pups rather than duncan designed according to the Squier website. Bottom line - a GREAT bass that sounds and plays and looks like a much more expensive bass.

Attached Files:

2. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I love "bang for your buck" deals. Looks like a great axe.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

So, you're a "Squier-Denier"? :D
    Are you planning on putting on a customized logo?

Seriously though, cool find. I'm guessing it's a 2013 model, yes? I see no "Duncan Designed" branding embossed on them. So, yeah, that'd be a set of "Fender Designed" pickups.

4. don21480

don21480 Supporting Member

No logo - i like the bare look! Yes a 2013 model - really impressed so far

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Batmensch

Batmensch